iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Source for flat belt splicing in Michigan

Started by Jim1934, November 19, 2016, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim1934

Greetings- is there a company in lower Mi. that repairs and splices flat belts?

Thanks, Jim in SE Michigan.

Oliver05262

Is your belt similar in size to a round baler belt? If so, most farm equipment dealers are equipped to splice those. Another source of splice parts is a company that services conveyor users, like Flexco. McMaster-Carr would be a distributor for that type of belt fastener.
  You do need a splice that will flex easily around the sheaves and idlers; the wire clip type seems to be the best for that.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Jim1934

Thanks- Don't have the belt yet but want to be sure I can get one 'spliced' if need be.
I am rebuilding an old sawmill that will need a belt about 6 or 8 inches wide to run from
a 6 cyl  IH Diesel to a 2' pulley on the mill.
Will probably buy one on Ebay that will need splicing or repairs.

Not aware of any large farm equipment dealers in this area- Clarkston, Mi.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Kbeitz

My Master Carr sells a simple one that uses a bench vise
As part of the tool.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jmouton

hay jim i  think there was or is a place in detroit on nevada st , dont remember the name but i ve been there over the years,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Bandmill Bandit

https://www.grainger.com/category/lacing-and-lacing-tools/conveyors/material-handling/ecatalog/N-9qt

Grianger sells good tools for doing and has a pretty good range of styles.

Not real expensive either. There are quite a few suppliers out there that sell kits.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

flyboy16101

If there are any Amish around you they would be the best people to talk to about anything flat belt related
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

bandmiller2

Jim, If you haven't bought flat yet give some serious thought to "V" belts, they are much better. Many times you can find a used set on old compressors at junk yards. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

loghorse

2nd the amish.6,8,or what ever than can get,also usually pretty resonible.

Jim1934

Thanks for the help.

I have considered V belts, but wonder how they run on crowned flat belt pulleys.???
Changing to standard V belt pulleys would be major undertaking.
Guess I could fabricate bolt on flanges to keep them in line.
Jim

bandmiller2

Jim, unless you go with "V" pulleys for the belts I would stick to flat belts. Running "V"'s on flat pulleys is alright for light loads but not for drive. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim1934

Thanks Frank, I'll stick with the flat
belts . Jim

Trapper John

Jim,
I bought a Flexco clipper style tool that you use with a vice to build my own belts.  Works fine.  I have read on this site that for the main drive a 6" belt is too narrow, an 8" belt will work, but a 10 " belt is ideal.  Make sure you never have more than one lacing on your pulley at any given time as it might start to slip.  When  it slips it's like a vehicle that has it's brakes locked and it has no steering.  The belt tends to come off the pulley.

glassman_48

Jim,
My first firewood processor had a 12" wide rubber belt conveyor.  I tore a chunk out of it from a branch that wasn't cut off.  I found a place in traverse city Michigan, they took the belt and put a 3' splice in it and built me a brand new one for a spare.  It was only 200 bucks for a new one, the processor company wanted 600 bucks for their new ones. I can get you the name if you want it. 

Jim1934

Thanks to all for suggestions on belt width and belt sources.

I have not bought the main drive belt but I did buy a 3 inch wide one that powers
the car movement. Bought it and hammer/vise on alligator lacing from McMaster Carr.
Worked fine.

Would like name of source in Traverse.

Jim

glassman_48

Jim,
I think company name is grand traverse rubber or grand traverse hydraulics, either way their number is 231-943-4477, if thats not right let me know.  good luck,,ed

BUGGUTZ

Hey Jim, poke around northern Macomb county. Dryden, Almont, Armada area. I knew of a few farm and tractor shops in that area that can fix a flat belt. North Center was a company that had a big selection of old type farm parts and such. They are in Armada.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!