iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wind finally laid down

Started by Briankinley2004, March 15, 2017, 10:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

Hated to leave the sawmill this weekend but it was raining at home and flat calm seas down south. Wound up with a great catch

sandhills

:) Suppose to be nice and warm here this weekend hmmm... ;D

Texas Ranger

In Texas when you say "Wind finally laid down" it is followed by, "Yep, laid down the yard trees"!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ox

I love eating fish but know very little about them.  What kind are they?

I never got to fish growing up.  Lived next to a river but never fished.  Old man didn't care about us enough to do things like that.  Anyways - never learned, then life and family and work happened and never got to fish.  Then got sick and can't get around well to go fish.  If I really WANTED to I could probably figure out a way to go fishin'.  ::)

So - what kind of fish are they?  :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Briankinley2004

Left one is a mahi mahi. Then red snapper, amberjack with a yellow fin tuna   The long silver one is a king mackerel

Ox

Fantastic!  I had guessed the red snapper correctly just from reading many hours about folks who live on their boats and catch lots of fish to help their grocery bill.  The mahi mahi I'd heard of but never saw.  Is it related to the dolphin head fish (I think this is what it's called)?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

IndianaJoe

I think a mahi mahi is a dolphin fish. They changed the name because of all the tree huggers having a fit over people "eating dolphin(fish)".

coxy

nice    i even have trouble catching them at the fish market  :)

Briankinley2004

mahi-mahi is also called dolphin and dorado depending on where your from. The tree huggers dolphin is sometimes called a porpoise depending on nose configuration and location.  I just call them mahi to remove confusion and not stutter. the best eating one in the picture is the yellow fin but the others are all good too except I'm not a big king mackerel fan. Sort of like eating coon when you have rib eye next to it

Ox

It truly is fascinating for me and I find myself longing to be where you are while I sit looking out at my 4 foot deep snowdrifts and snowbanks taller than myself!
I've always liked variety with my food and seeing all those different kinds of fish I would be delighted to have some from each critter on a plate, marked out to keep them straight and be able to taste test each one.  Enjoy it, bud!

Thank You Sponsors!