iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling all tightwads, packrats and home made do it yer' selfers. Pics please.

Started by woodbowl, July 03, 2005, 06:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Got a buddy that has weak hearing. He bought a "Walkers Game Ear", hearing aid type thingy for hunters. Wears it all the time, now.  Prica, $179.95 I believe he said.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Tom

Stick around.  Give them some time and they will be prosthetics. :)

One of the back pages of this site that suggests the coverage.

http://www.asha.org/public/add-benefits/model-benefits.htm

dail_h

Once when workin a a veneer mill,we busted one of the big,over 5 ft gears on the #1 lathe,actualy,we just busted off some teeth,4 or 5 in a row. Called in millwright,he had no good idea,called in local machinist,he had no good idea,called the manufacturer,was surprised to learn that they did not have a main gear for a 1924 vintage lathe.
   Everybody's gone home except for me,the fireman,and plant owner. Plant owner is not in a good mood when I asked him if he would listen to an idea I had. %$&*^$x# might as well.
   1 grind busted teeth off smooth
   2drill ,& tap some 1/2 in holes across the face of gear
   3 thread in bolts ,cut heads off build up spaces with welding
   4 grind,file to gear tooth shape
   We started about 2:00 pm,had her going shortly after 1:am. I was a hero for two days,then screwed up agin
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Furby

But in the mean time......... ::)
What do you do pick a job that has the right health care coverage ???
Almost impossible from what I've seen.
That one does indeed list coverage.

Tom

No, I don't think most employees can demand coverage especially special coverage.  Just give it time though.  There was a time when giving birth wasn't covered and hair implants weren't covered and birth control pills weren't covered and ................ :D

Tom

Dail,

I've done that same kind of thing.  I fixed a 2000 line per minute drum printer with some office supplies I had on my desk one night.  The computer engineer said he couldn't fix it and would have to order parts the next day.  We had a big job we  had to  get out.

It ran for a week without failure until the new parts came in.  I was tempted to tell them to put the new parts on the shelf in case my fix broke one day. ;D

You're right.  It's hard to be a hero for long. :D

woodbowl

I'm making oil! I pulled the dipstick out of my 539IMT tractor and found that I had more oil in it than I put in.                                                               
I wondered if the injector pump was leaking. I heared that you've got to be real smart or real stupid to take one of those apart because they go bloing and 75 different parts go flyin'. The mechanical diaphram pump is mounted on the right side and easy to get to. Maybe I'll get lucky.                         
Here's the close up before removing.                                                       
I unbolted the fuel pump and noticed a little diesel fuel just inside the flange mount. Lucky me!  8)                                                                     
I opened up the fuel pump. Two halves, spring and rubber diaphram.     
Here's the culpret! The diaphram didn't have a hole in it. Instead, diesel was leaking around the shaft and dripping down the bottem half of the pump into the oil pan. I hit it a few licks with a hammer and punch to attempt to brad a new seal. Put it back together, changed oil and kept a close watch on the oil level................No good, still leaks. Why don't I just buy a diaphram?  ::) Ever try to buy IMT parts? It's a Yugo nightmare. So I took it apart again.                                                                                   
All I really need to do is seal the shaft............somehow. I don't dare whack it again so I got a piece of bicycle innertube and cut a round seal to place over the top brad area.                                                                             
   I drilled holes in two washers to place over the seal and on the other side of the diaphram. To drill holes in rubber, use a dremell motor tool and a rotary stone. Now it's ready to put back together.                                   
Everything bolted together. Washers on each side, innertube rubber over brad, lock nuts on back side, neoprene washers at screw head to keep fuel from flowing through screw holes. All I have to do now is put it back together. Won't fit, screw heads are too high and hit the top half of the housing. Had to grind down screw heads and grind housing for all of it to clear. Everything fit good, put it all back together and on the tractor. I sure hope this works. I probably should have made a trip to find some industrial rubber that is resistant to fuel oil. Anybody know how long a bicycle innertube will last with diesel fuel on it? ::) ::) ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

QuoteAnybody know how long a bicycle innertube will last with diesel fuel on it?

Nope, but Murphy's Law says it will last until about 3 minutes into a job you really want to get done.  ::)

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

woodbowl

Quote from: Murf on September 14, 2005, 11:07:57 AM
QuoteAnybody know how long a bicycle innertube will last with diesel fuel on it?

Nope, but Murphy's Law says it will last until about 3 minutes into a job you really want to get done. ::)

Hey yall'...........Uh.......guess what?  ;D ;D ;D  Next time you patch a diesel fuel pump, don't use a bicycle innertube for a seal cause it don't work too good.  ::) ::)  Murf, I'd say it lasted about two days.                                                                                                                     
Looks like it kinda' pooched up through the washers don't it?  Anybody got any ideas of another material that may work?

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

J_T

Woodbowl is that a fiat motor 8)  That is what my long has and some of the AC's My pump shaft wore down and my buddy had an AC with the same motor on it called the AC dealer ordered  a pump for his and it was the same as mine  8) Mine is a 445 long 4x4 with a fiat motor pump was about 25 bucks yours looks a lot like mine . I used an electric pump till I figured it out  :D :D
Jim Holloway

DanG

WB, when ya head over thisaway tomorrow, give yourself a few minutes and stop by Mr. J.D.'s place.  There's a chance, however small, that they may have a new diaphragm for that thing.  If'n they does, they'd be happy ta sell it to ya. ;D  I know that ain't near as much fun as tryin' ta make one outta yer kid's bicycle, but it'll probbly work better. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

JT, this is a 539 IMT. It's made in Yougoslavia. It is a spittin' image of the Massey Ferguson 35. Well...........almost! There are some parts that won't interchange. It is possible that them yougos' over there used what ever they could find including a Fiat fuel pump. What year model is your Fiat?

J_T

Don't know the year it was just easer to tell them it was a I think 5040 AC :D :D Will look around and see if I cand find the old pump I took off If I do I'll send it to you  8)
Jim Holloway

Rockn H

While I was taking some pics today and the mill was here, I thought I would add these pics of my homeade muffler.  It is made out of 12 gauge sheet metal since I couldn't find any round tubing.  I even had to use 14ga square tubing to make the baffles out of.  The old one blew out a few weeks and ago during a saw job of course, and didn't make it through the rest of the day before it was just hanging on.  And of course I couldn't find one within an hour and half radius, so here is the result.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Good looking muffler.   Is it quiet?

I made a couple of different designs when I had the Onans.   The trick was to save the part that went into the exhaust manifold (?)  uh.....   exhaust port or whatever you call that hole that lets the stuff out.   If you save that , you are assured of a good fit. :)

Rockn H

It muffles really well.  Of course the old one was already open for me to copy so I used it as a model and increased the tubes in the baffles.

Tom surprisingly the exhaust manifold pipes were in good enough shape to reuse.  They definately were made out of heavier gauge than the rest of the muffler was.  I just had to remount the pipes by themselves in the motor so I could get some measurements on the spacing and angles so that when they were welded in the would still fit the exhaust manifold.

Thanks y'all

Tom

By golly, yer pretty smart.  ;D

If you want to make your off-bearer happy, put a 90 on the exhaust and turn it up.  You might have to put a rain cap on it but the gases and most of whatever noise is left will go up instead of into the face of the off-bearer. :) 

I had a young girl off-bearing when I made one with the 90 and got a big hug.  I think I'd do it again.  :D

Modat22

I have one of those evil gray market tractors (satoh 650g). It shattered a clutch 3 years ago and I didn't want to pay 400.00 for a new clutch (every part for this tractor costs a fortune) So I broke the tractor apart and found an 8 inch clutch in there. I drilled out the old clutch revits removed the old pieces of clutch pad. I then bought a 30.00 chevet clutch, removed the clutch pad, redrilled and revited this to my old clutch assy.

I then used my wood router with a flush trimming bit to trim the clutch pad to size, reinstalled and its worked ever since.
remember man that thy are dust.

crtreedude

On the trusty Montero, the starter decided to give up the ghost. The amature lost a piece and so ground down the brushes. I stopped at Williams and he yanked out the starter and we saw the damage. He went to town and got a set a brushes - too big but he ground them down to fit. Also, he repaired the missing piece in the amature. All of this took about an hour. (Notice, I didn't do anything - just being honest)

I asked Hector how much it cost because I asked William to bill us. Hector said that William said "la cuenta fue escribido encima de hielo..." The bill was written on ice." In other words, nothing.

You got to like nice neighbors. And his wife has a small soda (little restaurant) with the best fried chicken for breakfast you ever had!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

IndyIan

I doubt many of you have priced roof racks but they are big $$ even for parts of them.  I needed racks for my tracker and the bars or cross pieces I have are too short.  So what to use?  Hockey sticks!  They flex a bit more than the steel bars but they hold enough weight for me to worry about the bracket part. 
Ian 

iain

Swampy    you can buy them threaders at lee valley

woodbowl  nice bodging

iain

scottr

Woodbowl , Anchorrubber and aerorubber both sell sheet stock for making diaphrams . Lewis Brander made his Disston carb diaphrams with their sheet stock .   Scott

Thank You Sponsors!