iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Model Identification

Started by fstedy, July 02, 2005, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

I was given a Stihl saw but I cannot find a model # it needs some work so it needs to be identified. It appears maybe to be a model 440 from the general looks. I'm not that familiar with them though.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

fstedy

Also does anyone know of a good repair manual for whatever saw this turns out to be?
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.

KiwiCharlie

Do you have a photo?!...
Once ID'd you can find all sorts of Stihl repair manuals on ebay.
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Michael

fstedy look under the gas tank or elsewhere on the saw. There will be numbers. A four digit code number will be the first of a series and it will be 11 and two other numbers. Send me the four numbers and I can tell you the series of saws it belongs in. You can order parts from that series. For instance 1122 is the 064/066 saws  Mike
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

fstedy

Mike
I found these numbers cast into the bottom of the tgigger guard
9 1117 791 10 5 just in that order I assume the 1117 is the sequince you need. Thanks for the help.

StihlDoc

1117 is a model 042 or 048. Both models are similar. The 048 is the later version. Parts are getting scarce for both models, epecially the early versions.

fstedy

StihlDoc
Thanks for the information. Do you think this older saw is worthy of investing time and money in? Was this a good model saw?

StihlDoc

Personally I would not spend any money on it. There were many engineering changes made to these models and some major parts have been discontinued with more becoming obsolete in the near future. If only minor repairs (less than $50) are needed then it would make a decent saw. If it needs something more significant, I would not waste my money.

fstedy

Thanks for the info. I may be lookinf for a new saw any suggestions?

Minnesota_boy

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: fstedy on July 06, 2005, 11:59:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I may be lookinf for a new saw any suggestions?

What are you cutting?  How often?

Just off the top of my head, if you're looking for a new timber saw, the 440 or 460 is a good choice.  Something smaller, I'd recommend the 361.  If you're looking at a Husky, find a 372 before they're all gone.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

fstedy

Just bucking logs for the mill mostly under 30" and trimming stump flare. Don't do any felling.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: fstedy on July 06, 2005, 03:36:10 PM
Just bucking logs for the mill mostly under 30" and trimming stump flare. Don't do any felling.

A 440 would work fine.  You could run a 28" or 32" and buck all day long from one side, and stump flare wouldn't even slow you down.  That saw would be manageable all day long too.  I think you'd like it.  Open the muffler up, and  you'd be even more pleased.  If you're in soft wood, you could run a 361 with a 24" and may have to buck from either side, but it'd work fine as well, and it's a little over a pound less.  I'd say go with the 440. 

Of course, the 372 would work fine too...

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Chris J

Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

stihltech

We need a better number. That 1117 number is still on various trigger and saftey latches on new saws. How about on the bottom of the fuel tank or under the air filter cover. It may be an 048, but that would be a better place to look. :P

fstedy

The only other number I could finf was stamped on a machined surface above where the dogs mount. To me it appears that it would be the serial # 1154 30929 hope this helps.

fstedy

I found a number for Stihl and they comfirmed that the saw is an 042  don't look good for repairing a 1980 saw. Thanks for all your help.

Al_Smith

Well,as been said,it's got some age on it..An 048 is a punched out version of an 042.The weak link is the crankcase that develops leaks.An 048 is the same cubic inchs and hp as a 046/460.I have an 042 and 2 ,048's.I have repaired one of the 048's and it's really a powerful saw,for it's size.I haven't gotten to it,but the other has a crankcase leak,also.The 042 has plenty of power.I would put it on a par with,or slightly more than an 038,but given a choice would prefer the 038.Another thorn in the side on these models is the SEM ignition model,which is hard to find.Some,however,were fitted with a Bosc,and external trigger unit.I don't think they will interchange,unless the flywheel is changed.I personaly have not had any trouble with the other parts,with regards to availability.I have the Illustrated parts lists down loaded,send me a pm,if you want me to forward them to you.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

You can get 066 piston/cyl. sets for $180.
090s are $225,
070s are $220, and
the 08 S is $220 . That's about 40% below retail!.
Free shpg.,  if this guy can get together an order of ten .

You have to call him by 9:00 PM eastern time (6:00 Pacific)

Dean @ Washington Hot Saws
Used parts house & builder
M-F 11:00 - 6:00 PST (360) 785-0533
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

twoodward15

Fstedy, you lookin' to get rid of that saw?  How much do you want for it?  I only have this little wimpy McCulloch timber bear for my chainsaw mill and this might be better that what I have. 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!