iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log yield

Started by OutlawB52, July 06, 2018, 10:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutlawB52

Is there a general rule of thumb for sawing a 12 " cant out of a log ?  Looking for the minimum diameter .   Yes , I am new. ;D   

btulloh

18".  Good rule of thumb is that a log will produce a cant that is 2/3 of the log diameter at the small end (inside the bark).  Crooks and defects can change that, but that's the idea.  (The actual ratio for a perfect cylinder is 0.707)

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
HM126

GAB

btulloh is correct, however if you are in need of greater accuracy use the square root of 2 divided by 2.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

moodnacreek

The diagonal of a 12x12 is 17" so that is the absolute dia. of a perfect log [min. dia.]. 18" would be better.

Magicman

A good quick method is ½ bigger so whatever size square cant that you want, divide by 2 and add it to the cant size. Adding another inch gives you some wiggle room.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

Here's a link to a calculator we have in our toolbox.  Figures the minimum sized log for any size cant.

Log Size
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

OutlawB52

Thanks Gentleman. More than I could ask for. Time to break out the geometry book and read the chapter on circles. 

Larry

A squared + B squared = C squared.  Not that I was particularity good in math, just had to figure out the down guy length for 3 zillion telephone poles in my prior life.

Of course once you learn the secret formula it makes it easy to lay out square houses, sand boxes, and how big of log is required to get your cant. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

PAmizerman

Welcome!!
And after you've been sawing for a couple years you'll be able to know what you can get from a log just by eying it :laugh:

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Thank You Sponsors!