iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard hat, chainsaw gloves and saw pants?

Started by Ranger8006x6, August 16, 2021, 09:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Northern Glacial frozen types cannot cook grits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old saw fixer

I like grits, and I like cheese but not together.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

HemlockKing

Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2021, 03:22:35 PM
Northern Glacial frozen types cannot cook grits.
Sou western ns is southernmost point of Canada, not too glaciated!  :D 
A1

hacknchop

Thumbs up to safety equipment and those who wear them. As for grits only had them once when I visited Detroit stayed with a family that had moved there from somewhere south , anyway I liked them and would gladly eat them again.Might be worth noting that I can't think of any type of food I don't like and sometimes I think when a person doesn't like something it's not the food's fault ,he likely just wasn't hungry enough.
Often wrong never indoubt

Ed_K

I'm with Ron, 3 times now hopefully not again. Rita just asked what grits was, I told her their like cream of wheat. Good with maple syrup and with just butter.
Ed K

Magicman

Quote from: Ed_K on August 18, 2021, 03:51:43 PMRita just asked what grits was, I told her their like cream of wheat
Unfortunate that was not a good description.  Grits are made from corn, not wheat.  I dislike cream of wheat.

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 17, 2021, 01:36:34 PMFrom what I read "grits is porridge boiled from cornmeal"
No matter what Wiki says, Grits are not made from cornmeal either.  We called cooked cornmeal "mush", which I ate growing up but never liked.

Hominy grits is a type of grits made from hominy, thus the name "Hominy Grits".   Grits are ground much courser than cornmeal.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HemlockKing

The topic usually comes back to food lol . It's on our minds often 

On the topic of safety equipment, does anyone have recommendations for good leg protection in summer? I haven't been wearing my chainsaw pants as they are like snow pants, is there anything that doesn't make you feel bundled up? 
A1

Tacotodd

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 18, 2021, 05:15:01 PM
On the topic of safety equipment, does anyone have recommendations for good leg protection in summer? I haven't been wearing my chainsaw pants as they are like snow pants, is there anything that doesn't make you feel bundled up?
Probably not, but I sure am interested in what everyone has to say  :P
Trying harder everyday.

Ed_K

Fruit of loom and wrap around chap's  ;D.
Ed K

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 18, 2021, 05:15:01 PMOn the topic of safety equipment, does anyone have recommendations for good leg protection in summer? I haven't been wearing my chainsaw pants as they are like snow pants, is there anything that doesn't make you feel bundled up?

Check out Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation pants. If there were any dealers in my ares that sold the Pfanner pants, I'd already own a pair - I just would like to try them on before buying, and that does not seem possible in my area.

Also, look at Husqvarna Technical Forest Pants. I'm not sure if they are quite as cool as the Gladiator Ventilation pants, but they are reportedly much cooler than full-wrap chaps.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

Meant to reply to this last question earlier and forgot. In my opinion ALL chainsaw pants are like sauna pants int he summer. But the pfanners and others like C-loggers are good summer wear. I got the Elvex pants with venting in the back of the legs and butt and worer them through gosh awful hot days in June doing the mushroom log harvest and they were more bearable than wearing chaps all day. Of course you can take chaps off when you take a break. I am happy with the Elvex.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

breederman

I'm glad this topic came back up. It reminded me to pick up a new forestry helmet when I was in town today. 
Together we got this !

Ron Scott

The are some newer vented chainsaw pants, but they are expensive. They still get warm in very hot weather however. I'm still partial to the heavier Kevlar chaps for when cutting with the saw and take then off to cool the legs down when taking a break. We don't have the constantly hot weather here in Michigan though.

Ed-K has the best answer. 

DefenderPRO Tough Chainsaw Pants - Summer Edition
~Ron

John Mc

Quote from: Ron Scott on August 21, 2021, 03:20:04 PMDefenderPRO Tough Chainsaw Pants - Summer Edition

I've heard good things about the Clogger DefenderPro pants. My only gripe is that they don't come in different lengths. The Medium size would fit me in the waist, but is about 2" too long in the inseam.

THat's one of the reasons I'll probably end up with the Pfanners.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Larry

Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2021, 10:36:01 AM
A forestry helmet saved my life.
Same here.  The limb put me on the ground and cracked the helmet.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DMcCoy

I wear;
Chaps and hearing protection anytime using a gas chainsaw.  If my chaps get cut I know they need replacing.
Hardhat if felling - I have been driven to my knees by falling branches by head impact while wearing a hardhat.
Eye glasses - If I didn't wear eyeglasses I would want a face shield. Even so I think it would be smarter of me to wear a face shield as the occasion chip gets around them and into my eyes.
Gloves- Your wife might like rough hands mine does not...and it saves time in cleaning pitch and sap off.

Separate note - My big saws have a kickback safety brake.  I click it 'on' when carrying a running saw through brush and branches.  I've tripped enough to know this is a good habit.

John Mc

Quote from: DMcCoy on August 22, 2021, 07:46:54 AMSeparate note - My big saws have a kickback safety brake. I click it 'on' when carrying a running saw through brush and branches. I've tripped enough to know this is a good habit.

Don't ALL of your saws have a safety brake? -- or are some of them antiques?

Magicman

I have two 'fine running' Homelite XL12's that I retired because they don't have chain brakes.  The above picture  is of my right upper arm showing the results of a kickback. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

I wear a helmet almost all the time, even milling, cause I prefer muffs to plugs. I also like the face shield. Every once in a blue moon I'll wear earplugs, but I'm not crazy about them. Chaps all the time unless I'm climbing, or doing literally a couple cuts, and that's usually with my tophandle. I pay particular attention when I cut without chaps. I wear those milling too, cause I'm kneeling in sawdust, and it keeps me clean. If it looks like it's gonna turn into more than a "couple cut job", I go get them. Gloves almost all the time cause I don't like crud on my hands. They also add a little dampening for vibration.

DMcCoy

Quote from: John Mc on August 22, 2021, 09:03:53 AM
Quote from: DMcCoy on August 22, 2021, 07:46:54 AMSeparate note - My big saws have a kickback safety brake. I click it 'on' when carrying a running saw through brush and branches. I've tripped enough to know this is a good habit.

Don't ALL of your saws have a safety brake? -- or are some of them antiques?
Antiques?  What?  40 yr old chainsaws are antiques?  I'm older than you and your older than they are...
Antiques are always older than me by at least 1 yr...:)

John Mc

Quote from: DMcCoy on August 22, 2021, 04:27:53 PMAntiques? What? 40 yr old chainsaws are antiques? I'm older than you and your older than they are... Antiques are always older than me by at least 1 yr...

You are so right! I should have referred to them as "classics".

My truck can safely be called an antique, since it's 11 years older than I am.

SawyerTed

I'm a little late to this one.  Grits have saved my life on several occasions. :D  One memorable time was after a temporary 8 month self imposed exile to the great Pacific Northwest city of Seattle.  In 1982 they didn't have grits there nor did anyone there have any idea what pimento cheese is.  I resorted to making my own pimento cheese but never milled my own grits.  Anyway they served grits for breakfast on the plane from Atlanta to Charlotte on the last leg of my return flight.  Between the grits and the gorgeous flight attendant with a beautiful Southern drawl, I was revived (we actually dated a few times)!

As for chainsaw PPE, always to safety glasses, yes always to a hard hat when doing work in the woods and most other times, yes always hearing protection and chainsaw chaps almost always.  Gloves only when it is cold.  In the late 1980's, during my early weekend warrior days, I suffered through a chainsaw kickback that cut my left shin into the bone.  The cut was ghastly and the subsequent surgery and infection were no picnic.  While I am certain I ate grits while recovering, I don't recall them with the same vividness as that flight from Atlanta 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Tacotodd

;D to Ted. 👍👍👍 in many more ways than 1.
Trying harder everyday.

Texas Ranger

One time, was enough to convince me to wear one all the time.  Woke up on my face looking at dirt and leaves, with a split hard hat.  I was please it was the top side of the dirt.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!