iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

persimmon trees

Started by hoosier, February 11, 2005, 07:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoosier

I want to plant persimmon trees and I live in northern indiana on river bottom. There are so many different kinds and I don't know which type to plant. Which one should I plant? And how should i plant them, spread apart in groves or? Thanks!

SwampDonkey

There are only two species native to the US. Diospyros virginian ,common persimmon of the southeast (range: Iowa-Conn, Texas-Fl) and D texana, black persimmon of southern texas. The common persimmon is of commercial importants and they favor moist alluvial soils of valleys and dry uplands. They are also common on abandoned fields. So, i'de go with the common persimmon, since it's native to your area and space them 12-16 feet apart like groves. Plant them close (7-8 feet) if you want to grow clear boles. Use stock that's 18 inches tall or more, those sites tend to be rich with tall weeds. Should be ok to plant black walnut in between for diversity as it's not allelopathic to persimmon. ( Source )

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

If you're planting for the fruit, get a couple of those japanese persimons and then spend your early spring budding and grafting the wild ones in the swamp. :D

footer

Is there any use for the lumber from persimmon trees?  I just had a guy in Missouri ask If I wanted some, and I have never heard of them before.

Furby

Footer,
Do a search of the forum for persimmon. ;)
Ya might like what ya find.

Buzz-sawyer

Hi footer
Yep good for instrument building and lots of other craft stuff.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

footer

Sorry, I haven't checked back here for a while. Thanks for the tip. I searched the archives and read up on it. It sounds like it might be worth getting.

Larry

Hey footer...iffen ya end up with to many persimmion to use let me know as I would be happy to dispose of a few for you. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

J_T

Larry I got a couple tracks of trees to cut this spring may have some on them .Most times I leave them for the critters at one time I sold the logs for 1750 a M now the market is shot .If I get a bunch I don't mind shareing ???
Jim Holloway

Larry

Thanks for the thought JT but Dukedom Tennessee is little far for me to venture for the few logs that I want.  :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

footer

Larry,
I might be able to make you a deal on some. Where in MO are you located? They are probably closer to you than me. What kind of price are the logs worth down there any way? Or what are they worth to you? Do you have a way to pick them up? They are located a little south east of KC.

J_T

Larry if I get them and you just want a few for your own project they would cost you me and the wife's supper and if needed we have plenty of spare room. ;D I got on hand a stock of walnut and cherry but haven;t wanted any persinnimom been leaving them.
Jim Holloway

jrdwyer

I have a beautiful polished persimmon golf club head on my desk that I bought a few years back from a club component supplier to assemble into a finished club.  The brand is H&B (Hillerich & Bradsby) Power Bilt, the same company that makes the Louisville Slugger bat.  Persimmon heads were  very popular until he early 90's when metal drivers took over. And so went most of the persimmon market.

Thank You Sponsors!