iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 119 winch issues

Started by Monte Cristo, February 17, 2022, 12:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monte Cristo

Hello all!

Last year I purchased a late 70's International Harvester S10 Skidder with a Gearmatic 119 Winch. The skidder has worked great so far, the winch has been a little problematic from the start but has still worked. It has sat for a few months (always covered with a canvas tarp) and now the winch won't free spool, it is stuck and is always winching in when the skidder is running. 

I have not taken the access panel off of the side yet to clean or inspect it. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of fluid the winch takes, how much of it, where to drain and fill. Any other advice would be appreciated

Gary Davis

sounds like the clutch is adjusted to tight and won' t fully disengage 

Gary Davis

they usually take brake fluid   

rusticretreater

If you google Gearmatic 119 Winch, you should get links to several YouTube videos on fixing the winch.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

C5C Tree Farmer

The most likely cause of your problem is the inner clutch bands are stuck to the inside of the drum because of rust. To check them the large cover on the RT side has to come off.
These winches are susceptible to rust formation in the band chamber due to a combination of water leaking in and brake fluid seepage.

The winch control uses DOT 3 brake fluid. The gears and such use 80W-90 gear oil or similar. Usually a pipe plug is used as both an oil level check and a refill port.

Monte Cristo

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to clean the rust off of and free the bands without disassembling them? What is the best method to clean the bands/free them?

C5C Tree Farmer

Since the winch was operated in recent history there may be a chance to free the bands without disassembly. If you can manage to get 30' or so of mainline off the spool then tie it to the base of a good sized tree. Put the winch control in the free spool position, turn the winch on, and apply the brakes. If the winch drum "pops" and free spools the bands came loose. If the winch drags the skidder back to the tree with the brakes locked you will have to proceed with removing the winch cover.

Gary Davis

I agree that would be my first option, good luck and let us know how it works out

62oliver

If the above works and it breaks free, the best way to clean the bands if they are rusty is just use the winch. Let it slip a bit when bringing it in and let the brake drag a bit when releasing. This will help to clean up bands. These things don't take well to sitting idle.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Thank You Sponsors!