iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Floods!

Started by breederman, June 28, 2006, 11:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

We had a couple of brainiacs that decided to go white water rafting down one of the swollen creeks.  Most people would invision a bright yellow raft and guys with floatation vests going down a screeming river.  Not so.

These guys had just swimming trunks and inflatable rafts from the swimming pool.  They went 3 miles before the fire department got them out.  Teenage boys and they all survived. 

You can't teach intelligence like that.   :)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

Roxie,we had supper with one of our Amish friends.Than on to the front porch for a couple hours.Our last day there Fannie helped my wife make some Amish dresses.Than off to see her new grandchild.We went with 2 Amish sisters to Green Dragon.Up by 41,Christina is the brother to the above.We stopped in once,but he was mowing.Stopped back in Monday with his Mother and had supper with them.Out to the barn to help out with milking.Been all over Lancaster Co.All the square corners and one lane bridges and I thought I lived on a back road.We try to go every year.May take you up on your offer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thedeeredude

OOOOooooohhhhhhhhh, I like Green Dragon ;D  The sausage sandwiches at Newswanger's are great.  And a cheese steak from Mike's.   sketti_1 sketti_1 sketti_1 sketti_1 sketti_1 pepsi_smiley

Tom

When I was about 17, a friend of mine and I crossed a flooded tributary to the Oconee River in Milledgeville.  I never dreamed that the current could feel like that.  I was a strong swimmer and didn't have to go far.  It put the fear of God in me and I'll never forget it.  We used a grape vine for a life line.  He jumped in first because I was bigger and was going to hold him.  We were trying to reach a tree that had fallen into the creek from our bank and was laying in the water across most of the deep part.  It was about 15 feet to the rootball and trunk.

He missed the tree and was swept downstream.  I held the vine and he swung into the bank below me.  We decided that, being the stronger swimmer, I should try.  I did and made it.  I wrapped my arms around the trunk and caught it with my leg.  The water pressure almost tore my arms from their sockets.  I had to turn my head away to breathe and even then it was difficult.   The water was shooting over my head about 2 feet or better.  I climbed onto the log finally and found a limb to hang onto.  My friend then jumped in and I pulled him to the log.  He also finally got onto it and we worked our way toward the top of the tree and found that it was laying in about 3 feet of water that was not in heavy current.  

I wrote a little story about it called "AWOL to Mrs. Pennington's" and put it on www.tomssaw.com.

It was quite an experience.  One that will be with me for the rest of my life.  Stupid?  Yes, it was a stupid stunt.   But then, I was always testing my metal when younger and not many of the things I tried to prove to myself I could do would be considered smart.

I sure am glad that I lived through it.   Life has been quite an adventure and I sure would have hated to have missed it.

asy

Quote from: sawguy21 link=topic=20073.ms\g287126#msg287126 date=1151511938
asy, you are in the middle of winter. :o Whats gonna happen when summer comes? Near record temperatures here and no end in sight for a while. Hang in there easterners, flooding is hard to deal with

um...  Summer is our rainy season, we're subtropic here. Winter is our Dry season.

Remember, we're upside down.

Beenthere, hope your friend saves all his Family memorabilia, etc. (like Tom said) Maybe he should bring it on up to your place, if there's no chance of you flooding...

Let us know how you all go.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Patty

Be careful you guys. Rivers rise fast when that much rain is coming down.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Quartlow

Quote from: asy on June 28, 2006, 10:52:08 PM
Remember, we're upside down.

Now we know whats wrong with you  :D  :D  :D

I'm just a ways south of MrMom, it rains then quits , rains then quits. Sun is shining right now but calling for scattered showers.

Lucky I'm above the creek, and all of our fields drain well, so far none of the plants are drowning.  Been hard on haymaking though we still need to make another 150-180 round bales and theres no end in sight.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

SwampDonkey

Said rain today and tommorrow here. It showered less than a thimble full at day break and been sun ever since.  smiley_headscratch Can't tell nuthin by them weather gurus. I aways said there was two weather forecasts, chance of rain every day during the warm weather and chance of snow every day during the winter. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Qweaver

When I was a teenager during periods of heavy rain, my dad and I would walk about 1/4 mile up stream from our house to where a swinging bridge crossed the West Fork River.  We'd walk out to mid span, jump in and ride the fast water back to the house.  We were both excellent swimmers and I don't consider doing that to be any more dangerous than white water rafting.  In fact, Sarah and I love white water rafting and we're planning to buy a two man white water raft to ride the rapids about a mile downstream from where we are building our cabin.

The degree of danger in any sport is most times determined by the skill level and preparedness of the participants!

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Trax

I work in Albany NY and have a real good view of the river. We just watched 2 docks with at least 10 boat on each one break free and float down the river. Wish I had a camera here at work. This picture is the culvert that washed out on I 88 and killed two truckers

Please use the ForestryForum Gallery for photos.
The copying of news photos may be copyright infringement.
admin

Trax

Town of Roscoe in Sullivan Co. NY

Binghamton NY   

Utica NY

Bainbridge NY

SwampDonkey

I don't think that's quite what you was told about photos Trax.  ::) Try viewing a thread full of non optimized photos on dialup.  :(

We appreciate the photos, but I can see the same thing optimized at < 30 k.

Go to ...

/About This Forum/Behind the Forum/

for photo upload and optimization info. I beleive Jeff has it linked under Help up top also.

Here's one of your photos optimized

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Wow.

We just saw the floods on our News.

I sure hope everyone (especially Forum Members) are OK.

If you're from that area, please check in!

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

breederman

We are back!  T and I went out last night to check on possable  travel routes for today as we could breed no cows yesterday.  Got stuck on the other side of the river and they would not let us back.  No way across the Susquehanna from Oneonta to at least Binghamton, a distance of around 60 miles.
No motels,  finally stayed at one of my customers farms last night.  This afternoon we drove 3 hours to make what would normally be a ten mile trip.  We will be a long time cleaning this mess up.  Uncountable number of bridges and sluices are compleatly washed out or gone. Most milk is being dumped.  We think tomarrow the situation will be much improved.  Travel will be tough for quite awhile.
  I now have a small idea of what you folks in the hurricane Katrina area went through.  :(

Together we got this !

thedeeredude

OK, the flooding has gone down a lot since a couple days ago.  It peaked on wednesday night.  Were all ok though, we live on a big hill.  Reading's streets are clear now.  183 is still closed I think.  I got lots of pictures Ill put on later tonight or in the morning.

breederman

Things are improving around here some.  More roads become passable each day although officially we are still under a state of emergency.  My business is very slow ,I am sure some dairymen will go out of business over this.
  Yesterday p.m. and all day today The girls and I spent helping haul EVERYTHING out of the church basement and then one of the older members houses. I hurt in places I didn't Know I had! ;)
  550 homes were damaged in Sidney alone. Walton is much worse as the water was flowing fast there and literally tore up anything in its path.
  If any good can come out of this it is bringing people together.  It is amazing the amount of work that has been done since they allowed people back into the flood zone, but much remains to be done.

too old to do this Craig
Together we got this !

Tom

Breederman has told me that there is a huge photo gallery of the flooding in NY at www.thedailystar.com

Thank You Sponsors!