iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-mizer LT30

Started by 60lp, January 30, 2014, 08:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60lp

I'm in the processs of trading one of my antique tractors for a LT30 the man said it could cut 18ft length logs also the original gas engine has been replaced with a Landbandini 2 cylinder diesel it is mobile any info on the mill and  what year this was built and any pointers , hinters or faults would be gladly appreciated also what diameter of log will it cut thanks and everyone out there have a safe and blessed day

stumpy

The lt3 will only cut 16' long.  Largest diameter is the same as an lt40 which is I believe 36". Be aware though that that the largest diameter you can put on the mill, but the widest board you can make is about 24" - 28"
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

As far as I know, there isn't an LT30 that can saw 18ft.  Just barely 16'. If you get the serial number off the mill, wood-mizer can give you every bit of information on it. They made the lt30  for many years.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

60lp

I was also wandering if I could put a bed extension so I could a 20 ft  or could fabricate where I could

Magicman

Yes, especially if you set the mill up permanently.  A forum search will turn up several extensions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ohio_Bill

The short answer to your question is yes.   I would get the Sn and call woodmizer. They made several frames over the years and it would be good to know which one you have.  Is it a manual mill or hydraulic?  Woodmizer can also tell you what the value of the mill is .
Would love to see some  pictures of the mill
Good Luck .
Quote from: 60lp on January 30, 2014, 09:15:56 AM
I was also wandering if I could put a bed extension so I could a 20 ft  or could fabricate where I could
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

pineywoods

Member slingshot built an extension for his lt30. Well documented in the sawmill forum, with pictures and descriptions. Think his extension is 12 ft. Do a search, if you can't find it, holler, somebody  will find it and post a link. While you are building, check out the pineywoods homemade hydraulics.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

Jim_Rogers has an LT30 with a 6' extension. You will need to contact WM to see which version of extension will work with your mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

eric3793

We have a 1984 LT30 and the information above matches our machine...16'6" maximum length log.  I just made some pine beams this length and I needed to slide the log toward the band until it nearly touched.  It just made it through.  Regarding an extension, I spoke with WM at a recent show and they said the mill was made before standardization of the steel box-beam sizes.  They do not have extensions available.  I do not think fabricating a custom extension would be too difficult.

I also asked them about the value of the mill toward a trade for a new LT40 hydraulic.  They could only offer me only $3000 but said selling it outright could yield $5000.  We have a new 18HP Kolher engine provided by WM and it works very well.  Working alone without any heavy loading equipment is certainly a challenge.  Turning large logs takes a lot of time and I have used two super jacks to assist.  Loading logs is not difficult using the looped cable with a gas powered Lewis winch and the provided ramps.

The show price for the LT40 Hydraulic was attractive but considering that this is a hobby for me and a friend, getting a new mill would not make a lot of sense.  It sure is nice to have a few stacks of beams and boards around for various projects and considering that we split the initial cost several years ago, I think this little mill has paid for itself a few times.
84 LT30 and lots of Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!