iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling some long ones

Started by scsmith42, November 21, 2012, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

A while back I made a post seeking some 43' logs for a timberframe project that I'm milling.  Fortunately, some logs were sourced nearby, and although I'm waiting for engineering to be completed on some of the smaller beams, I recently started the milling process on the largest ones.

The focal point of the timberframe will be a pair of finished beams measuring 12" x 16" x 42'.  There is a lot of log handling involved, as each log has to be turned multiple times in order to properly mill it, and the bunks have to be readjusted with each turning.

The job started at a concentration yard by reviewing a gorgeous pair of red oak logs and subsequently having them loaded on my trailer.  They are each 43' long, with small end diameters of 24" and 26" respectively.

After unloading them at the farm, we used a crane to load them into the bunks and then laid out the beam profile.

Milling then commenced on the first face:

First face is complete (and inspected by Shea, our "log dog").

After the first face was milled, we used a crane to remove the log back out of the bunks, then used a backhoe to align it for the second face, readjusted the bunks and then set it back in and started milling face 2:

After completing the milling on each face, that face was soaked with a 15% TimBor solution to help alleviate any pests in the finished product (since they sure won't be going into one of my kilns!):

The next step is to mill the first two faces on the second log in a similar manner.  After that we will adjust the bunks to be perfectly flat relative to the sawmill and mill the second two faces on each log.

Working with long, large logs is very different than typical 8' - 12' logs, not only because of the mass involved but also because every step must be well thought through in advance and executed without any mistakes (so nobody gets hurt and also I sure don't want to have to "eat" one of these expensive logs due to a mistake!).  Working through any tension present in the logs is also a challenge; additional steps are required to mill oversize, with multiple log turns and milling some of the faces more than once to get down to a final dimension that provides for equalization of any tension present in the logs that is revealed during the milling process.

The log weights are significant (over 12,000 lbs each), and extra caution has to be used when handling and moving them around with the crane.  I have a 6' Logrite cant hook, and these guys just laughed at it!  All handling requires heavy equipment for every step, and precision handling to set them up just so.  Because the beams are oak and will be left rough sawn, we also have to prevent contact with steel forks, chokers, etc to the freshly sawn surfaces.

More to come....

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Leigh Family Farm

Holy bahdunkadunk! That's an impressive saw job. What would that beam retail for in your area? I never would be able to do that cutting mainly because you are log turning with a crane ;-)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Part_Timer

THat right there is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

hardtailjohn

I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

mad murdock

Very nice work!  Them are some BEAMS there!  would hate to get one of them stuck in my eye ;)!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Tom L

big stuff!

the pucker factor is definitely up on that job I bet

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rockingjl

Awesome!
Not sure what to think,      wish I was there helping   
                                   or     
                                         man, glad I missed that

(Scott's brother)

Tree Feller

Wow! That's impressive. Very impressive.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

SPD748

I can't be sure but I don't think that beast would fit on my carriage :o

Very nice work!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Chuck White

Great job there Scott!

Nice sequential pictures too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thurlow

As Morrie Brickman usta say, (under different circumstances) "Hoo-Boy".
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

isawlogs

Love those jobs, nice work area, Who's  crane ??? :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Great Thread!
Thanks for sharing it. :)

scsmith42

Quote from: kilgrosh on November 21, 2012, 12:23:02 PM
Holy bahdunkadunk! That's an impressive saw job. What would that beam retail for in your area? I never would be able to do that cutting mainly because you are log turning with a crane ;-)

I honestly don't know; they were part of a package for the entire frame and decking.

scsmith42

Quote from: rockingjl on November 21, 2012, 02:31:48 PM
Awesome!
Not sure what to think,      wish I was there helping   
                                   or     
                                         man, glad I missed that

(Scott's brother)

Aw Jeff, you know that you wish that you were here helping!  I'd even promise not to work you more than a half day each day!

scsmith42

Quote from: isawlogs on November 21, 2012, 05:56:18 PM
Love those jobs, nice work area, Who's  crane ??? :)

Marcel, it's great to see you posting! 

The crane belongs to my neighbor - a working railroad museum.  I loan them my backhoe, grader, dozer and dumptruck when needed, and they let me use their crane.  It's a great relationship for both of us.  Thus far I haven't figured out a way to "need" to "borrow" one of their locomotives, but I'm working on it! :D

valley

Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

isawlogs

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 21, 2012, 07:19:39 PM
[  Thus far I haven't figured out a way to "need" to "borrow" one of their locomotives, but I'm working on it! :D

I'll get cogitating some on that and maybe help you out with that, DanG is quite good at that cogitating thing too. Might  fire him off an IM and might be able to get his gears a grindin' also on this here dilema.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

saxon0364

That was a well thought out job.    I've no experience with a Lucas mill.  It has to be a painstaking process to get the runners the log lies on level and solid enough for good sawing.   
Nothing wrong with quiet.

Dave Shepard

Those timber look great! 8) I know the feeling of not messing one up, I've cut 17 timbers over 42' since last summer. Now, I just have to cut the joinery in them all.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

That picture taken from on top of the roof is a good shot. Really shows how long that beam is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customdave

Holy mackeral !! I only see 2 guys in the pics, where is the other 2 guys for packin slabs away ! , neat pics & awsome job....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

redbeard

Absolutly  Awesome  I know now what I want for Christmas!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!