iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 026 Part Question

Started by Gebada22, February 10, 2022, 10:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gebada22

Hoping for some guidance.  I have a Stihl 026 that I purchased in 1994.  I am rebuilding the top end and I also notice that I need to replace the clutch drum.  The OEM part number stamped is 1121-160-2900, however, it appears that this part is discontinued.  My saw has the constant oiler and it appears that the drum is not as deep as the other 026/261 ones with clutch driven oilers.  The current drum works, however, the bottom is flared out around the whole part and is difficult to install and remove.  I am guessing this has occurred over time as opposed to being "original".  Any thoughts on where to locate a part new or used.  I may have to simply keep an eye on EBAY.  Thanks in advance.  Greg

lxskllr

If the only difference is a shallower height, perhaps you could get a 261 drum and have it taken down.

Gebada22

lxskllr, that may make the most sense.  Thanks for the note.

sablatnic

I would suggest to grind one of the new ones down too.
If the clutch is very worn and rattly you could consider replacing it too.

rgd44

Hey,  I just happened to come across your post.  I happen to have  the exact part number you are looking for.  I just completed rebuilding an 026.  So if you would like it, I will send it to you free.  I honestly cannot remember if it is new.  But if it is not, you cannot see any wear whatsoever on it.  You pay the postage and it is yours.  Bob Dyer, Encinitas.  I can be contacted at rgd@rgdyerlaw.com

Al_Smith

I did this recently on an 024 that has a constant oiler .They never made a replacable rim type drum for an 024,just a spur drive  .So I bought an aftermarket drum which is deeper with the notch that picks up the clutch wire .I used a 12" sanding disc on a belt sander I made and ground it down to the notch and it works like a charm .
I was not aware the 026 used a constant oiler all I'd seen used a wire drive .I'll have to look that up in the parts book .

Al_Smith

Correction on my last .Both the 024 and 026 did list a rim drive ,my mistake .Evidently the wire drives must have came later in production .My big orange book of IPL's evidently doesn't cover it but perhaps my CD ROM or micro-fitch might .Fact I might have a picture of the drum I reworked .

Al_Smith

A miracle I found the picture .I just ground it down to the notch 

Magicman

Have you tried FF Sponsor CHAINSAWR listed in the left margin? 

I see a couple of clutch drums listed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taylorsmissbeehaven

Good call MM. Scott has helped me several times with older saws. I too have an older 026 (bought brand new as my first new saw) that is now sucking air everywhere and needs a complete tear down. Sounds like I may be talking with him soon too. :D Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Magicman

I read on here that Scott sold the business but I understand that the new owners are providing the same professional service.

I bought a "top end" for my MS 028 from Scott.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I might mention Bryce in St Marys Washington as another source .According to some people this guy has warehouses full of parts . Over the years I've bought from him . Actually there's not too many I haven't bought parts from truth be known .

Thank You Sponsors!