iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 038

Started by gearman, April 03, 2011, 09:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearman

Im looking at a Stihl 038 on craigslist.  Ive been running a husky 359 or jonsered 2171.  This Stihl is closer to the 359 than the 2171, but would like another saw in the 60cc range.  If its in good shape, how does $300 sound?  any experience with the 038 would be appreciated.
NH 55da, 270FEL, Farmi 351P, Husky 51, 359, Jonsered 2065, 2171
Well done is better than well said

Al_Smith

They're good old saws but 300 is a tad steep unless it's a cherry IMO .

tyb525

I bought my 038 Magnum for that price, might be a tad steep but I love it! They are old saws but they have tons of power.

I run mine with a 20" bar and nothing can stop it. I also have a 30" bar just in case, but I've yet to need it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

dovetails

any experience with the 038 would be appreciated

Price does sound a "little" high to me also, but it would depend on condition.I've been useing mine for over 20 years,cutting down trees and making firewood every year.Only thing done to it it all those years is put gas and oil in it, I think 3 bars,and several chains. Flip switch to choke, yank cord 3-4 times, it's running. Mine sometimes sets for several months,(4-5) but has always started right up with fresh gas.Also like my 028,a bit lighter,don't get tired so fast! lol
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Al_Smith

I've got three of them myself .Two Mags and one AV .

This model responds very well to modifications but they do fine just the way they are .

As far as 300 that's just what somebody thinks they might be worth .They could be for all I know .Then again I'm a notorious tight wad regarding paying much for a saw .Fact is I don't have 300 bucks wrapped up in all three of mine .Just a fact of being in the right place at the right time ,works for me . 8)

gearman

Let that 038 pass. Was not cherry, in fact pretty beat up.  Looked like it had some serious hours of cutting under its belt.  Not sure I would have paid $200 even.  If I offer an item for sale....Im gonna at least clean it up and sharpen the chain.....not this fella.  I didnt even bother to dicker on the price, just wasnt what Im looking for.
NH 55da, 270FEL, Farmi 351P, Husky 51, 359, Jonsered 2065, 2171
Well done is better than well said

Thank You Sponsors!