iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longleaf pine and oak logs all over the place

Started by Greg Brown, April 12, 2014, 10:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Brown

My wife and I visited FDR State Park near Warm Springs, Ga to do some hiking on some of the more than 40 miles of hiking trails through the park.
We went to the Dowdell Knob trail, a modestly strenuous hike of about 4.3 miles (actually 4.3 utterly exhausting miles for us old folks).
Dowdell's Knob was Franklin Roosevelt's favorite picnic spot when he was visiting Warm Spring's.

The  view from the Knob.

About a mile down the trail we encountered an area at first sight I thought had been logged, but apparently a tornado had struck here in the not too distant past.

A very twisted tree trunk.

There were so many downed oaks ALL of us could stay very busy milling them.
These were cut to clear the trail.

I could not believe the many longleaf pines laying around.

This one was over 65 feet to the lowest limbs

Yours truly "pining" over one of the downed longleafs.
WDH I was thinking about you the whole time. 

Yet in the middle of all the brokenness and destruction there were signs of encouragement.

Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

Magicman

:)  That last picture proves that in the midst of it all, life goes on.  Thanks for the hike. ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

There are some beautiful woods in the Pine Mountain area.  It is a shame that those grand old longleafs where blown over.  Too bad that they cannot be recovered.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Very nice hike!  and it is most certainly a shame that parks almost always close the door on recovering downed timber from storms. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

yukon cornelius

those are great pictures. everywhere I go im looking at logs laying around. last time we went do pomme de terre lake park we jogged the trail, they had cut up a solid near 24 inch hickory and several large oaks into firewood lengths. I thought what a waste it was.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

Mother Nature doing the thinning. As I tell people,If you don't do it,Mother nature will.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Greg Brown

As if the logs laying around was not bad enough, I just had to see this large burl too.

Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

5quarter

Quote from: WDH on April 13, 2014, 08:06:21 AM
  Too bad that they cannot be recovered.

Sure they can be recovered. and by the time you get out of prison, they should be dry and ready build with. ;) :D :D

Greg...yeah, what a waste.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Great shots. Thanks for sharing. It would be nice if they could get a logger with horses to recover the logs and make it part of the park experience.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!