Forum > Ask The Forester

How to start Osage Orange from seeds

(1/5) > >>

wesdor:
OK, you will all think I am crazy (and that is probably true).  However, I was cleaning up in the timber today and found a nice Osage tree - tall and straight.  Lots of hedge apples beneath it and I picked up half a dozen.

What must I do to start some hedge trees from these hedge apples?  I have a small indoor green house and will try to grow the seedlings there when the time is right and transplant them when they look healthy.

Any guidance is appreciated.

doc henderson:
well this is interesting.  I know they must start from seeds, but around here they were all planted before I was born.  I would cut a hedge apple open and have a look.  I have never done it but now I want to.  I have a friend with a nursery and I will ask him.  He also managed all the parks for years.  I also know the forester affiliated with K State.  I will see what they know.  if you dissect one, some pictures would be nice.  @WDH 

LeeB:
CAn't remember exactly what I read about it many years ago, but do remember you are supposed to mash the apple an let it rot/slash ferment in a bucket or such for a while before planting the paste containing seeds.

Ok, just googled this up. I was kinda close. 

Seeds and Plant Production Osage orange is easy to propagate from seed. Fruits can be collected in the fall. However, cleaning and extracting seed from the fruits are easiest if the fruit is stored in a moist place and allowed to decay for several months. Seeds can then be extracted in water by macerating the fruit and then floating off the pulp or screening it off. The average Osage orange fruit contains from 200 to 300 seeds per fruit. Osage orange can also be propagated by softwood cuttings in June or by hardwood cuttings harvested in January. Softwood cuttings should be treated with indole butyric acid (IBA) at 5,000 to 10,000 parts per million (PPM) and placed in sand beds under mist conditions (Dirr and Heuser, 1987). Hardwood cuttings from previous seasons growth should be placed in a cool greenhouse and provided bottom heat (68 F) and 5,000 to 10,000 ppm IBA quick dip to encourage rooting of the cuttings. Covering of hardwoods with an opaque poly sheet will delay shoot development. Rooting is possible in six weeks with this method. Root cuttings taken in fall or early winter are also a possible source of vegetatively produced materials. Cultivars, Improved, and Selected Materials (and 

doc henderson:

a lot of you tube stuff on the subject.  as well Tom H the nursery guy states that K State developed a thorn-less variety.  

doc henderson:
John C. Pair Center @ K State off campus facility.  search thornless Osage orange.  Maclura Pomifera 'inermis'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap