black locust with bark stripped off (by an animal?)picture is sideways

Started by Danausplexippus, November 21, 2021, 01:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danausplexippus

Note from admin. All SIX of your duplicate photos were removed. Please replace it and fix this post with ONE NEW UPLOAD.

Something stripped some of the bark off my black locust. Can this tree be saved? (If so, I will put a fence around it.)  Should I put some tape or treatment on it where the bark was stripped off? Thank you for any answers

David

trimguy

Wudman

Looks like a deer scraped it.  That is pretty extensive damage.

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WV Sawmiller

Yep, looks like a deer scrape to me too. How high from the ground is the damage and what is the diameter of the tree? Usually we see it here on the evergreens but striped maples are another favorite. Other trees/shrubs will sometimes be attacked if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Probably deer down that way. Up here I get rubs from moose, I found 2 new ones on fir trees this fall. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Danausplexippus

Thank you for the replies, but can anyone please tell me what I can do (if anything) to help the tree heal? -
Do I tape it?, put some sort of a dressing?
David

wisconsitom

That stem might die or be in tough shape, but black locust is a tree that sends up sprouts from its root system.  Among other things, disturbance to any standing stems can tend to promote this "suckering".  You're never going to not have black locust if any at all are around!  Invasive species up here for sure.

No, wound dressings, tape, orange shellac, my grandmothers special sauce, that stuff your neighbor has in the garage.....none will do one thing for the tree.  If it has enough juice, it will try to wall off-not heal-that wound.  Tree wounds remain with the tree for their lifespan, but are walled off by new tissues over time.  Nothing applied to the surface helps this process.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

mike_belben

the tree is a lost cause.  the good news is youve got a buck. 
Praise The Lord

Danausplexippus

David

firefighter ontheside

Its interesting, on our property we have yellow pine that was originally planted here about 50 years ago.  There is a lot of reproduction and the deer almost exclusively rub on pines from about 1-2" diameter.  I'm not sure I've ever seen them rub a hardwood on our property.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

wisconsitom

Yes they certainly do like to rub pine-family species, but any tree will do if it's at the right height, etc.  Lots of rubs on broadleaved stuff.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

livemusic

Bucks rub hardwoods on my place from time to time. Probably 90% of the time, though, it's a cedar or a pine, especially cedar. Sorry about your locust. They are rare as hen's teeth around here.
~~~
Bill