iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Camping on the beach

Started by pappy19, January 25, 2010, 11:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

This video was taken in southern California with the tide coming in. I wouldn't want to camp in this "remote" beach spot that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR4kTXalXb0
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

On the Bay of Fundy you can look out over the empty basin for miles when the tide is out. I wouldn't want to be someone from out of province with the idea they were going to camp out there over night. They might be in 50 feet of water before morning. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

Well that is one way to ruin a truck. We get enough rust in the winter I cannot imagine a saltwater bath for my truck.

Stonebroke

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 25, 2010, 11:41:00 AM
On the Bay of Fundy you can look out over the empty basin for miles when the tide is out.

When I first saw that I wondered  ??? ??? ???  Boats lying on their sides on the sand, and the boat docks waaay up there.

We also got to watch a tidal bore in Nova Scotia.  There is so much "good stuff" to see..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Was it Nova Scotia? Because the most famous tidal bore is in Moncton, New Brunswick on the Petitcodiac River which drains into Shepody Bay, the western finger of the Bay of Fundy. The bore has been reduced in size however by a 1968 causeway, which locals are campaigning to remove to restore the river's ecology. Previously the bore would reach two metres in height, traveled at fourteen kilometres per hour and penetrated twenty kilometres upriver of Moncton, to the small town of Salisbury. But since the river flow has been restricted, the bore rarely exceeds two feet.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy19

Tides are a funny thing. I remember coming back from working on the Alaska Pipeline project in Spring 1975 and took the ferry from Haines, AK to Prince Rupert. The ferry stopped in Petersburg, AK and missed the tide by 15 minutes and we had to wait HOURS before the tide came back enough for us to leave. Petersburg has like a 12 foot tide difference. I remember that when we finally got to Prince Rupert, it was 3 am and raining like a dog. I had a heck of a time finding my way out of town and getting back to the interior and on to Washington state.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

isawlogs

I like the comment ... " that guy is not smart  "   No shht   :D :D :D   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 25, 2010, 06:51:47 PM
Was it Nova Scotia? 

Yes, the one we watched was in Nova Scotia.  We were too DanG busy eating lobsters musteat_1 in NB to watch a DanG tidal bore..... smiley_thumbsup

We walked down and saw the "flower pots" and boats on the sand in NB.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Yep the tidal boar in Nova Scotia you must have been around the town of Truro.

Another nice place to see the tides is in Hall's Harbour, there is no tidal bore that I know of there but it is interisting to see the difference from high to low tide.

They have a web cam you can see a few lobster boats sitting on the ground the ckeck back in about 6 hours and you can walk from the warf right on to the boat.

http://www.novascotiawebcams.ca/hallsharbour/

clif

Cook inlet has one of the wickedest tides in the world.  In November it changes from + 34 feet to a -4.1 feet in 6 3/4 hours, thats moving a bunch of water.  Turnagain Arm off Cook inlet has a pretty good boar tide.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

SwampDonkey

Quote from: pappy19 on January 25, 2010, 08:20:42 PM
I remember that when we finally got to Prince Rupert, it was 3 am and raining like a dog. I had a heck of a time finding my way out of town and getting back to the interior and on to Washington state.

Welcome to rainy Rupert. :D Although I don't understand the trouble leaving town. All the main streets run north-south and the way out of town runs east. Your also on an island (Kaien Is) there, so maybe that was confusing. ;D

There is also a maximum and minimum, high and low tide.

In Saint John Harbour, which is on the Bay of Fundy, is one of the deepest sea ports in the world. The tide change is 28 feet.

Qweaver

I could not believe my eyes as I watched that.  I'm amazed that he actually made it.  He could not be someone that lives close to saltwater or he would have known better.  His truck and camper are likely junk now.  There is just no way to keep all of the electric connections from corroding after a saltwater bath.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

SwampDonkey

Well it looks like the Tidal Bore in Moncton, N.B. may soon be restored. They just lifted the gates on the causeway to drain the pond. Plans are to remove the causeway and replace with a bridge across the bay.

Raise the Gates

CHARLIE

I remember back in the '60s when I'd be up at Daytona Beach, Florida.  People could drive on the beach a lot there and many times people from up north would park there cars on the beach during low tide and go nightclubbing.  When they came back to get in their car the water would be window high.  I remember seeing a brand new Cadillac with the saltwater lapping at the windows. :o   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!