iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buying new mill soon

Started by stihltoomany, June 30, 2015, 10:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: stihltoomany on July 09, 2015, 02:56:44 AMStill a little worried about WM electrical problems. Any comforting comments.
I have no idea what prompted that comment.  I have been running my '98 WM since 2002.  Sure, I have had various parts that needed replacing, (electrical, hydraulic, & mechanical) but I can not imagine that anything was unusual or a need for concern. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2015, 07:25:47 PM
Quote from: stihltoomany on July 09, 2015, 02:56:44 AMStill a little worried about WM electrical problems. Any comforting comments.
I have no idea what prompted that comment.  I have been running my '98 WM since 2002.  Sure, I have had various parts that needed replacing, (electrical, hydraulic, & mechanical) but I can not imagine that anything was unusual or a need for concern.

I would guess what prompted that comment is the fact that WM mills are loaded with electrical components!  ;D

OP-  I wouldn't sweat it.  WM has been around the block and has seen what's around the corner.  They are the ones who invented portable sawmills.  They know what they are doing, and they stand behind their product.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

He said "electrical problems".  That is much different than "loaded with electrical components".

I would be interested in stihltoomany's response.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

stihltoomany

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2015, 10:17:42 PM
He said "electrical problems".  That is much different than "loaded with electrical components".

I would be interested in stihltoomany's response.
I have read about $600 boards needing replaced and switches and such. Read something about not running hydraulics if headrig is moving, arcing some contact bar. Very familiar with hydraulics, been repairing, designing them and installing them in an industrial environment for 30 years. Woodmizer seems to use a lot of proprietary electrical components. Plain hydraulics seem a little simpler to do the work to me. Just asking you Woodmizer guys too calm my fears. About ready to drop a lot of money on the only sawmill I will ever own. I have never had a smaller older mill. I'm just jumping in head first. Hoping I don't break my neck in the process. Thanks
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

stihltoomany

Magicman I understand you ride along with the head. Comments? I am trying to avoid paying for a command center but walking in saw dust beside the mill is not for me. Keep in mind I am not near as tough a you. You are my HERO.
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

stihltoomany

You guys have to forgive me. I was all set on buying a different color of mill and now I'm trying to think orange. Also on midnite shift again and thinking too much.
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

Magicman

To me, riding is much better than walking and it also allows me to see the blade guide and to see over the log.  The downside is when the wind is wrong like sawing ERC last week.  :-\

I have not compared the price breakdown on Command Control vs riding in several years but I do remember that CC includes the auto clutch.

If I was buying a new sawmill, I have no idea which option I would choose, but I do know the color.

pineywoods

stihltoomany, I understand your concerns about woodmizer electrical problems. In my experience, it's pretty much a non-issue. I do a good bit of fixit work for other woodmizer owners as well as my own lt40 (7800 hrs, 95 model). I do see electrical problems, but in most cases they are the result of stupid don't care attitudes. Mills left out in the weather with no covers, mice, complete lack of any kind of routine maintenance, I know mill owners who don't even have a manual. The electrical components on these mills is all heavy duty industrial grade parts, given reasonable care, they last a long time, and the if there are problems, the backup from woodmizer is as good as it gets. That from a guy who spent 40 years working in tech support.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

stihltoomany

I think it is going to be orange. Haven't decided on simple set or accuset.
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

Finn1903

Sounds like you have nailed down most options.
I walk along with the headrig and wear a dust mask, easier for me to pull slabs by myself.  Ear plugs are a must regardless. Remote would be nice in a non-mobile environment.  I debated that one too, it was either diesel or remote, I got the diesel. 
If you go with the remote, I would recommend a drag back to a table.  I am waiting for a prosawyer recommendation to come through with a few WM bucks to buy the WM roller table.
After opening two faces I switch from manual or auto down to the program mode.  For me, it is quick and I don't have to worry about looking at a scale, just bump the drum switch down wait for the head to drop and go.  For me its quicker and more accurate, but I am also younger and trust computers to do the math for me. ;)

WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

4x4American

I say go for accuset if you can swing it.
Boy, back in my day..

stihltoomany

One more question guys. Going to get 3 boxes of blades. What 3 kinds do you recomend for Iowa oaks, walnut, hickory and cottonwood. Want enough to get started on whatever I need to saw. Also going to flat one side of some power poles for polebarn, anything special  for them 15 or 20 poles?
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

deadfall

I don't have much except the good clamp, the roller toe boards, and the debarker on my used 34HP CAT diesel 40-HD. 

I love to walk along.  If I don't keep moving my body, well... it just won't move.  When I'd had my '05 mill a year, a much newer one showed up on Craigslist, less than a quarter of the distance I'd gone for the one I got.  It was all shiny and had Accuset, and was also a diesel.  The price was a good amount less than I'd paid, and the hours were lower.  I drove down to see it, but the electric clutch started going spastic in and out as soon as the engine was started and the computer didn't seem to know what it was doing either.  I balked.  Soon I saw that the price dropped even more.  It went fast after that. 

I often say, "I can fix anything that hasn't got a computer chip in it."  I got cold feet and passed on what was probably one of the best deals around. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Thank You Sponsors!