iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) shaper!

Started by hackberry jake, June 27, 2014, 04:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I'm not a big fan of Taiwan tools, but I couldn't pass up a deal.
3hp and it came with all the tooling to make cabinets.
It also came with the spindle that can spin router bits.

I got the cyclone dust collector yesterday and the shaper today. Two toys tools in two days... I could get used to this! The wife... not so much.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Where do you find this stuff?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

You adding on yet??  :D  Having the right equipment makes life so much easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

The dust collector was destined for the scrap yard (freebie!!!  ;D) and the shaper was a craigslist find. I had a guy wanting me to tongue and groove a bunch of cedar boards for him so I've been keeping an eye open for a shaper. I've never even used a shaper before.
Quote from: thecfarm on June 27, 2014, 09:17:36 PM
You adding on yet??  :D  Having the right equipment makes life so much easier.
no, going to try to maximize efficiency in my little shop, but a second shop sure would be handy right about now!!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

Why, I didn't see that on my craigslist or your getting really fast. :D  Course I did pick up a $9,000 jointer last month off craigslist for very short money. :)

A word of caution about the shaper.  Check to make sure everything is tight, check speed, and rotation.  Than check again.  Take time to make sure you have the cutter head guarded whether shop made or factory.  Never ever climb feed by hand or it will be your last time...guaranteed.  A power feeder should be your next purchase.  Shapers are great machines but they command respect.

I have a couple of books about shaping.  Shaper Handbook by Eric Stephenson and The Shaper Book by Lonnie Bird.  Your welcome to borrow them anytime.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

shapers are awesome; however, I think they are the most dangerous power tool in the shop. 

I watched a good shaper video last night made by jet.  let me know if you want to borrow it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hackberry jake

I think I have a line on where I can get a power feeder, and I was actually looking into shaper books! A power feeder would come in handy on pretty much every tool I have (except the planer). Decent planer and power feeder and I believe I will have all the tools I need have space for, for a while.

WmFritz

I am getting so jealous of your shop Jake.
I suppose the shaper came with the cherry picker for free?  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

hackberry jake

The cherry picker came along to load the shaper... I bought it off an old man and I knew he wasnt going to be much help.

hardtailjohn

Same shaper that I have...and mine was a Craigslist find too!   I really like mine, and it gets more use than I ever imagined! Great find, Jake!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

petefrom bearswamp

Great find Jake//.
If you are going to make T&G a power feed is a must have.
My old Powermatic mostly collects dust these days.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

downsouth

Nice find jake, I think that may be my next purchase.
    The Taiwan tools are sometimes just too good of a deal to pass up. I recently got a new grizzly 3hp table saw. And found a HF 2hp dust collector(CL,$100)
  It's amazing how much better a REAL table saw works, compared to a small old one.

hackberry jake

It had a little surface rust on it so I cleaned it all up.

scsmith42

Great score Jake!  I used to have the Grizzly version of that same machine and was very satisfied with it.  Definitely seek out a power feeder for it. 

I have my shaper and Jointer positioned back to back with the power feeder mounted in the right rear corner of the shaper.  It allows me to swing the power feeder between the shaper and the jointer for face jointing.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

hackberry jake

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM
Great score Jake!  I used to have the Grizzly version of that same machine and was very satisfied with it.  Definitely seek out a power feeder for it. 

I have my shaper and Jointer positioned back to back with the power feeder mounted in the right rear corner of the shaper.  It allows me to swing the power feeder between the shaper and the jointer for face jointing.
what about the table saw? And do you drill and tap holes in the casting of the shaperr to mount the feeder?

redprospector

You will love the shaper! It's hard to find anything that's made in the USA anymore. I've got a Delta drill press that was made in Taiwan.  >:(
I cut my teeth on shapers.  ;) My Dad used to say that a shaper (or any other machine in the shop) is like a jealous woman. Take your mind off of her for one second, and she will get your attention back!
As stated, use a guard of some kind. But also remember that if you can get a board under the guard...you can get a finger under the guard.
When hand feeding, always curl your fingers under, with your first knuckle of each finger on the surface of the board. That will help keep your fingers from going under the guard. Never! Never run pieces with your hand spread out flat on the top of the board. I've seen a few people draw back a bloody nub using this practice.  :o
As far as mounting a power feed, I have always drilled holes and used a backing plate on the bottom. Use jam nuts so that nothing comes loose. Don't trust the integrity of the cast iron tops that come from Taiwan, and China. A lot of the machines that come from there are just fine, but their quality control, and metallurgy are still lacking some to be desired.
Great find, and good luck with it.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Big Boys....Big Toys. Way to go Hack!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

I've seen some that drilled and taped the top for a feeder.  I used nuts and bolts on my machine.  Two of the nuts are almost impossible to put on due to the design of the top.

If you think your going to remove the feeder to use elsewhere, the best solution is a second base.  Grizzly used to sell the base as a separate item at a reasonable price.  They may still do, but I don't see it in the catalog.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 28, 2014, 02:27:50 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on June 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM

what about the table saw? And do you drill and tap holes in the casting of the shaperr to mount the feeder?

I have a separate power feeder mounted on my table saw.

Yes re drilling and tapping the shaper casting.  Cast iron is very easy to drill and tap. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Peter Drouin

I put mine in line with the R saw to cut the wood square and to length.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!