iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do these trees have a chance

Started by Banjo picker, July 03, 2020, 12:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

These are in a campground.   They are hickory.   The biggest one is about 12 in dbh... its little twin is about 5 in and the other one is maybe 7 in. dbh.  Concrete has been recently placed around them in an oval shape...5 x 9 or so.

That blue thing is my knee.  The walk around it there is only about 4 foot, but pretty much covers the root area every where else.  What's the odds of their survival.   Also there is a big oak growing right up through the cabin we are staying in.  It's all very new. I doubt it will make it either.  The cabin is on a conventional floor with vevtlation... but but wonder if it can get enough water.

That big oak comes right up through the cabin.Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

JJ

Ive seen trees with concrete side walk right up to the base, the tree will win and bust up the concrete; which is what was happening to the side walk.

JJ

mike_belben

The runoff from the roof and sidewalk edge will soak the ground and be wicked inward.  Moisture only travels from wet to dry.  Besides the root spread on those trees is probably a 30 ft radius.  Theyll travel for moisture.
Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

Here's a shot of tree inside the cabin.

Pretty good sized oak.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Clark

I think it is going to be a tough row to hoe. If trees grow up in a certain environment they grow to fit it. When the environment is changed drastically they have few, if any, ways to deal with it. 

Around here the sidewalk would have been put into the ground several inches and they would cut the roots in the process. In that case I wouldn't expect the trees to look good for more than 5 years before they start to decline. However, I know nothing of hickory and I don't know if that sidewalk was poured on top of the ground or dug in a bit. If they didn't dig in there is a chance the trees could do reasonably well for some time.

That oak...decision-making by committee? I don't see anything good coming out of that but hope I'm wrong.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Banjo picker

The concrete around the hickorys was just placed on top of the ground, not dug in.  Tim

ppine

Put a hose on them once in awhile and they will stick around. 
Eventually they will bust up all of that concrete just to get even. 
Forester

Banjo picker

KEC

Brings to mind how cities mandate that homeowners maintain the sidewalk in front of their homes and pay for it for public use. Then the city comes along and plants trees by the sidewalk. When the tree heaves up the sidewalk, the city tells the homeowner to fix it. A few years ago a local legislator fixed it by by cutting the tree down. I don't blame him.

Clark

Quote from: KEC on December 19, 2020, 08:24:34 PMWhen the tree heaves up the sidewalk, the city tells the homeowner to fix it.

Here the City pays for sidewalk damage caused by trees they have planted in the boulevard.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Tacotodd

I'm just glad that I don't have any property that in ANY place, other than our home! And that's enough to take care of with all of the other things with it 😅
Trying harder everyday.

Trackerbuddy

Street trees a short lived in general. Cities plan on replacing the trees every fifteen years.  Of course there are exceptions silver maple and sycamore and the occasional oak come to mind.  By and large the ones that thrive in that harsh environment are trees that grew up around concrete and traffic. When the reverse happens and concrete grows around the tree, the tree fares poorly.  

Of course I could be wrong, go back in Ten years and give us an update

DMcCoy

The cabin tree might have a worse time of it between the two.
Pin Oak was what we were taught to use for street trees- Quercus pulustris - to avoid the heaving sidewalk issues.  I'm in the broken concrete camp with the sidewalk trees.  

There is an apartment complex 40 miles from me where they hauled in 6" of sand before construction in an effort to save about 100 of 125'-150' tall Douglas Firs 18-24" DBH.  They carefully built around the trees, it looked amazing.  After 5 yrs most were dead and had to be removed by arborists because they were in some cases less than 10' from buildings($$$).  Not to mention having such tall trees in a wind storm.

I get building a house around a tree is interesting but between the falling leaves and broken branches that looks like a maintenance and repair bill(s) waiting to happen.

kantuckid

Other than a campground site for those who have disabilities why in the hell is there concrete around those trees? Even then, I've never seen that in any campsites we've used other than a patio like area?
I grew up in a town and after well over a half century of rural living I find the city sidewalk talk, who can park where, my trees leaves over on yer neighbor, etc., and other vagaries of urban life kind of silly.
 In our nearest city (where we read the news) the urban forester decides which species are allowed in front of homes near a sidewalk. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

livemusic

Quote from: KEC on December 19, 2020, 08:24:34 PM
Brings to mind how cities mandate that homeowners maintain the sidewalk in front of their homes and pay for it for public use. Then the city comes along and plants trees by the sidewalk. When the tree heaves up the sidewalk, the city tells the homeowner to fix it. A few years ago a local legislator fixed it by by cutting the tree down. I don't blame him.
He could have just poisoned the tree, lol. A friend of mine, the rebel he is, put a bunch of pine beetles on some pines that were blocking his view from a neighbor's yard. The pines got bit and died. I do not sanction this activity, lol.
~~~
Bill

Tacotodd

You might not sanction it, but like your smiley indicates, it's funny!
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!