iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut tree large dead limbs

Started by Walnut Beast, November 15, 2020, 08:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

I know it's good to cut smaller limbs but.  Is it better to cut large dead limbs off of these big trees or leave alone. Some of the dead limbs are probably like 6" way bigger diameter  Seems like walnut trees get a lot of big dead limbs. 

Ron Wenrich

Do all your walnuts look like that?  Usually, trees that have enlarged knots are hollow or rotten on the inside.  I can't recall seeing a walnut like this one.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Walnut Beast

No these are just some examples. But when I was in the deer stand looking around there are many dead limbs on walnut trees high and low. That's pretty much what dominates the creek bottom everywhere on my place. I planed on taking a few of the larger ones but not all of them. That's why I'm asking these questions. Maybe I'm going to need to take a few more than I thought 😂. The one tree pictured is 118 inch circumference. I guess that puts it at 160+years old from the tree calculator. I hope the trees are not all hallow 😂. I plan on slabbing most of the stuff 2.5" for tables. And on the clear trees wide 1" stuff. The trees that I'm going to cut are in the range 85" to 120" circumference. I've got several downed trees to keep me busy for awhile 

Tristen

I am not a forster, and i am not a pro logger, and with a name like walnut beast i would guess you know more than i do.  I am just a wood lover, property owner and noob sawyer.  That being said i would guess that tree and others like it are on the way down, past their prime.  I would say you are loosing good lumber every year you allow trees like that to stand.   Just a guess from a photo.   
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

Walnut Beast

I doubt it and I'm not either 😂😂. I guess epoxy will fill many interesting voids when I get to that point with some table slabs. I think there will be some very interesting stuff in some of the trees in the pipeline. Some of these people are using more epoxy in there tables than the slab of wood 🙄😂

Walnut Beast

Tristen your on a great Forum with many good people and a wealth of information from them. Welcome 

Tristen

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 26, 2020, 04:35:37 PM
 I guess epoxy will fill many interesting voids when I get to that point with some table slabs. I think there will be some very interesting stuff in some of the trees in the pipeline. Some of these people are using more epoxy in there tables than the slab of wood 🙄😂
Maybe i should have put "good lumber" in quotes.   Yes that is going to be a very cool, interesting and valuable tree and make some beautiful stuff with the help of some epoxy.      By good lumber i meant the clear straight lumber sold in the box stores.  I think it should be harvested sooner rather than later,  i think it is loosing more wood every year than it is gaining.  But like i said just a guess from a few photos.   I would love to see the inside of that tree and I hope you get something beautiful out of it.
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

Ianab

Quote from: Tristen on November 26, 2020, 07:58:08 PMI think it should be harvested sooner rather than later,

That would be my take on them as well. 

If a tree is young and growing vigorously then it can heal over a surprisingly large scar before serious decay sets in. But if a tree is older and losing large branches, it's probably on it's way out. 

The logs will make some "character" slabs, a bit of epoxy and you are good to go. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Walnut Beast

Ianab that's what I was thinking about on many of the big ones I have. I hate to cut some of the big ones but I think it's been there time for awhile. Looking up high at many smaller ones there are plenty of dead limbs. But the Walnut trees pretty much dominate the creek bottom 

Ianab

If you take them out and replant (or at least let them regenerate) then you should be able to grow better trees for future. Good management won't benefit us personally, but it will create good trees for someone in the future. A lot of forest management (for timber) is about the first 10-20 years. Thinning, weed and pest control, pruning etc. Harvest might be 50-100 years down the track, but it was that management in the early years that makes the difference. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GullyBog

With walnut I've noticed that the decay doesn't spread out into the wood as much as other species.  With walnut I see a sharp line between decay/hollow and sound wood.  Probably because of the chemicals that color the wood.  I've heard a lot of ideas about what brings out the best color.  Some say the growing site, elevation, minerals, etc...  I think dead/dying walnuts have the best color.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Thank You Sponsors!