iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow

Started by Bruno of NH, December 17, 2020, 07:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 18, 2020, 08:11:32 AM
Seems strange its 2/3 of the way thru December and the east coast has piles of snow and in snow central UP here we have maybe 3" on the ground.
I am QUITE certain you will catch up and surpass us soon enough. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Chuck White

Wow, some of you folks really got hammered!
It seems that the storm crossed NY, below Syracuse and when it hit Mass., it turned North and started dumping!
Here in the center of St Lawrence County I only have "maybe" 1½ inches!
When I got up this morning, we had -6° F, our coldest day yet this season!
You folks with large amounts of snow to remove, please remember to take it easy, some of us know what shoveling snow can do to us old folks.
Good luck to all.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

K-Guy

We definitely got off luckier than you Bruno. I live just south of Bangor and only got 3-4". Go figure. say_what
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

SwampDonkey

We never got any snow from that system. I can still walk around the woods with no snow shoes. The first snow we got was 10", but melted from the bottom up and there might be 4" now. Ground was super wet with 14" from fall rain. ;D The snow sure did lean over some cedar and spruce, still snow stuck on trees here from that 10" storm 2 weeks ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruno of NH

-17° this morning
Another day of struggling 
Can't move South you good guys have all the sawing sewn up
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

With Equipment break downs I will be lucky to open up after Christmas
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Only 10" here but 30 miles south in the Binghamton area was 40"+
My brother just outside of Schenectady got 31" and his snow blower broke down.
He is just a young pup of 81 and needed to shovel his car out.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Southside

Bruno - I hear you on the snow, but just think, 100°F  and 95% humidity from July - September.  Makes for awesome sawing weather.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

42" is way too much work. Think of all the lumber you could make with the same amount of effort and fuel.  We got 13" here and I broke the snow plow frame on the jeep. Almost predictable. Good thing I have a 4x4 tractor loader but no cab.

sawguy21

:o That is too much to deal with at once! It is like spring here, just a few patches and the grass is greening up, but we will get cold and snow. Still, we won't see -17 and 40 plus inches, at least we had better not!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bruno of NH

Big Bob is out .
My newest helper left the fuel cap off durring the storm water in fuel. It won't stay running.
Can't get filters till monday 

Peter Drouin

Hard to get good help these days Bruno. I get some old bricklayers to work part-time for me. They do everything but run the mill. Even help customers load up. A little more $$$$ but worth it.
good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Edvantage

Murphy's law - no plow on truck and you get buried. I'm sitting here waiting for snow to try out 3pt blower I just adapted to skidsteer and we don't have any snow to speak of!

brianJ

Quote from: Edvantage on December 19, 2020, 01:42:32 PM
Murphy's law - no plow on truck and you get buried. I'm sitting here waiting for snow to try out 3pt blower I just adapted to skidsteer and we don't have any snow to speak of!
The most bestest investments are those that prevent snowfall in the first place.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 19, 2020, 12:32:38 PM
Big Bob is out .
My newest helper left the fuel cap off durring the storm water in fuel. It won't stay running.
Can't get filters till monday
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will get big Bob going Monday. Besides the fuel cap how is your new helper doing?

SwampDonkey

Was 10F this morning with frost on the trees, warmed to 32 by afternoon. Never had a fire since 6:00 am because of all the sun, solar heat. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside on December 19, 2020, 08:31:27 AM
Bruno - I hear you on the snow, but just think, 100°F  and 95% humidity from July - September.  Makes for awesome sawing weather.  
I'm sympathetic to our brothers to the north and the challenges the weather creates for them.  I'm not cut out for that no doubt! 
However, I will gladly take the heat and humidity over all that snow!  If I have to saw in July and August,  I saw between 6 a.m. and noon.  Forget sawing after 1:00 p.m.  Mostly I stop around June 20 and start around September 1.  I didn't do that my first summer and soon realized it was a mistake.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

mike_belben

Hang in there bruno, thats a tough row. 
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

My decision to work getting the skid steer tire fixed before the storm wasn't the right one.
Should have got the truck ready.
With lost business and missed order dates this ones 
Going to be hard to over come.

mike_belben

So will the one after it.  Dont focus on the negative, youll never run out of things to resent.  Think of how many people had roofs cave in and be happy your issue is just a backlog.  When times are down you gotta find ways to lift your own spirits.  

If its that bad, take a day or two off.  The customer can wait.  Their happiness does not trump yours.  
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mike_belben on December 20, 2020, 01:16:48 PM
So will the one after it.  Don't focus on the negative, you'll never run out of things to resent.  Think of how many people had roofs cave in and be happy your issue is just a backlog.  When times are down you gotta find ways to lift your own spirits.  

If its that bad, take a day or two off.  The customer can wait.  Their happiness does not trump yours.  
Good words of Wisdom from Mike. We hall have those years where we just miss to mark on winter prep. If I had not been retired I would have been in a mess myself, but I could take a day and a half to do it all at once. Never had that luxury before. Still, I have some damage control yet to do. You would think by now that we all pretty much know this 'Snow Thing' happens about every year, but still we learn the hard way. This just wasn't your year for a good start off and frankly, it did hit you with a vengeance unlike most other years. What happened to the "work into it easy with an 8" snowfall"? Did that contract run out? ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bruno of NH

My brother in law came and helped me get Big Bob running.
We didn't have new filters did the best with what we had.
2 young guy who had worked with me before came and helped me clean some roofs off and get the plow on Henry.
One stayed and ran Big Bob and I plowed with Henry.
Henry was tough it has highway tires on it. That's what was on it when I got it and they are new. I need a set of chains for the rear with 42" of snow.
I'm looking for a used set for Big Bob for the rear.

mike_belben

I dont know what size tires are on that but walmart used to stock truck chains thatd fit a 33x12.5 mud tire.  

Glad your makin some headway bruno.
Praise The Lord

barbender

I have a set of those on my Case 1845 I bought years back when the local Walmart carried them. I haven't seen tire chains in there in a while. I think Bruno's machine runs bigger tires, as well. My are 12x16.5.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Big Bob has 15x19.5 tires on it.

Thank You Sponsors!