iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB usage experiment

Started by woodmills1, February 02, 2010, 06:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

looking like the 24 cord I put up won't make it this year so doing an experiment on usage.  cut about 3/4 standing dead ash and elm and then cut and split 3/4 cord of fresh pine through the multitex.  Lets see how long this mix lasts.  the last shot is what is left of 24 cord, and not part of the experiment

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bandmiller2

Mr Mills,have you tried leaving the chunks larger and a little longer.I like to use what I can just pick up,long and slow seems better than fast and furious.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I have not really measured between dead wood and green white pine.The dead wood will last a long time.I feel almost as good as hardwood,just don't get the coals from it.But that green pine won't.Smokes ALOT until it's all the moisture is out of it.Some of it might be steam too.I was just trying to get rid of it.Either it was going into a brush pile to burn or in the OWB.This was a bunch of scrub pine.Hardly a log in any of it.But I burned just about all green pine last winter.Just wanted to see if it could be done and still be warm.Right now I'm burning dead hemlock.Have alot that died in the bog.I have a Heatmor.Will take a 54 inch stick.What kind of OWB you have?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodmills1

I have a free heat machine second size up.  It woun't do a good job on just green pine, doesn't smoke but it cooks it up gets hot and then before the draft comes on again the fire is almost out so it pumps air forever and doesn't get to good temp.

Stanting dead is the best, can fill half way with that then pile the green pine on top...long burn plenty hot

I try for the bigest chunks, but my splitter is only 24 inch.  the stove takes about 38" so I cut to 18 or so, that way I can double fill on really cold nights.

Also, Kathy often stacks while I split so I do keep it to what she can lift.

As I have stated I will go out many times a day or night if needed.  Much money saved and much warmer.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

I just lost all the hair on my left arm putting a particularly large piece of standing dead ina stove.

thecfarm

Not that it matters,but I split all my wood 2 feet.I split the green softwood kinda small.I found out it burns better that way.I tried to burn good size green pine in it and I almost lost the fire a few times. I split it up smaller and it works better.Easy to throw into the back of the OWB too.The only 4 foot wood I burn is wood that does not need to be split.Even a stick 8 inches through is a good size stick to throw in,just as easy to cut it in half.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodmills1

Here are two shots of what is left, figured on a week, but might fall short.  Regular early feb weather this week with 10 degree nights and 32 degree days with wind.

here are the originals so you can compare

woodmills1

It is all gone   6 days     was nice for 8 hr fires while it lasted

Thank You Sponsors!