iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using the I-phone at the sawmil

Started by Bibbyman, July 17, 2012, 08:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

My email is Gmail. It is saved to the cloud, and show up on my computer and phone. I now star the messages that are important and that shows up in both places. These phones are more powerfull than what put the 1st man on the moon. There is so much that can be done with these phones it is  incredible.
I now use voice to TXT for txting and righting replies to emails.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bibbyman

Question,

I get along great with the spell checker / word suggester on this Samsung infuse 4g but I've inadvertently added a few non-words.  Now they pop up frequently.  Is there a way to remove these non-words?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rmack

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2012, 06:14:47 AM
Question,

I get along great with the spell checker / word suggester on this Samsung infuse 4g but I've inadvertently added a few non-words.  Now they pop up frequently.  Is there a way to remove these non-words?

every time I type 'woodmizer' into my phone, the autocomplete function suggests the word 'sodomize'.  :D

I have no idea how to change the computer's mind about that.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rmack on July 21, 2012, 09:33:31 AM
Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2012, 06:14:47 AM
Question,

every time I type 'woodmizer' into my phone, the autocomplete function suggests the word 'sodomize'.  :D

I have no idea how to change the computer's mind about that.

You can't change your phone computers mind. Your IPHONE is set up to withdraw electrical impulses from your mind and compute to your screen the thoughts that are vividly imbedded in your brain cells. Therefore you will get words from time to time on your screen that you thought know one else knew but you.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

OneWithWood

Bibby,
Just keep using them and they will become words.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

Me and Mark Twain grew up not top far apart.
Sawing since '94

MHineman

I have an old flip phone too.  Since I work (like many of us) in areas with weak signals, I prefer my old phone.  I can take or make calls when almost all newer (less than 4 years old) phones can not.

The old phone is also more durable than other people's phones.  I even dropped it and drove over one.  It still powered up, but the screen was cracked so I couldn't see what I was doing. 

I have Verizon which is the only good option away from the larger cities and towns around here.

I don't care to text as I can get the business done quicker in a voice call. 

Verizon offers a product called Backup Assistant.  As long as you have an online account, Backup Assistant is free.  I have mine setup to backup my phone book once a day.  That product makes it simple to change phone when I need to.

When the phone gets some age on it and starts acting odd, I get a "new" one of the same model online for about $15 - $20 including shipping, charger, etc.  It takes about 15 minutes to switch over and would only take 3 minutes if I didn't have to read the instructions again each time.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

1woodguy

Quote from: Tom L on July 20, 2012, 08:00:53 AM
how do you guy's with the I phones back up your communications with your customers. is there a way to forward your emails and texts to a computer so you can save or print copies of your invoices, quotes ect.

I use an ipad Bought a connector that you can put a chip that fits cameras in and I transfer stuff either from laptop to iPad or vise versa or leave info on chips for hard copy
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Leigh Family Farm

Smart phones can be great. I like the iPhone because of its capabilities to sync with my laptop (MacBook Pro) at home, my wife's iPad, and the internet (iCloud service). There are multitudes of applications that are perfect for businesses (eInvoicing, expense reports, hourly billings - thank lawyers for that, etc.) Also, one added feature of most new version smart phones: geotagging of pictures.

Geotagging attaches GPS coordinates to your pictures so that when you load them into your computer, a small map will tell you where the picture was taken. It works great for when you are driving by and you see a beautiful oak tree that was blown over and you have no idea where on BFE you are. Take a picture and the phone will do the rest.

My only recommendation would be to go with one operating system: Android or iOS. Mixing the two leads to problems.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

beenthere

kilgrosh
Welcome to the forum, but I think you will find some slang abbreviations for certain things are outside the forum limits. We don't want you finding yourself out in the woodshed somwheres. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: clww on August 04, 2012, 07:30:34 PM
Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2012, 12:37:28 PM
Me and Mark Twain grew up not top far apart.
say_what

I always tell people I was born on the 4'th of July 1850 because I was born in a log house without electricity.  The doctor was brought in by farm wagon pulled by mules.

Although born in rural mid-Missouri, it was very much the old south.  Hannibal, Missouri, Mark Twain's home town, is not far away - in distance or culture.

I can read Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Fin books with no interpretation. Sounds right to me.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

Around here the Amish are kicking a$$ selling wood they have cut, they are doing something right and it's not with a smartphone.
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bibbyman

Even the most primitive Amish around here have cell phones.  I've not seen them with iPhone.

The Mennonite dress the dress and have horse and buggies and ride bicycles a lot.  But their county story has products bar coded.  They have surveillance system an have wireless internet. I've not seen them with iPhones but I bet they have them somewhere.
Sawing since '94

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: beenthere on August 04, 2012, 09:43:16 PM
kilgrosh
Welcome to the forum, but I think you will find some slang abbreviations for certain things are outside the forum limits. We don't want you finding yourself out in the woodshed somwheres. ;)

BFE: Back Forty Elsewhere.  What did you think it meant?  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

drobertson

Well bibbyman, no I phone here in so. mo. but the old conventional flip comes in handy daily. I mean to tell you what did the old timers ever do?  calls, texts' pics, all without driving 20 miles just for the info! unbeatable and invalueable for customers with time constraints. and really its not that time consuming to text, phone calls can lead to time loss for sure, allot of folks like to chew the fat.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

A couple of days ago I used the camera to take a picture of the engine serial number on the Terex so I could order a solenoid.  I couldn't get to where I could read it.  I then used the phone again to email the numbers to my parts pal who identified and ordered the right part.

You don't have to have an I phone to make lumber.  It's just another tool.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!