iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain saw sharping

Started by kardar2, November 09, 2012, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kardar2

Hello All,
I looked for this subject but could not find it.  I was watching a video on how to sharpen the chain. The guy said that the saw might cut left or right and you will have to resharpen to correct it. But he did not explain. So my question is : I am sawing a log and it cutting down and to the right.  which teeth are causing this? thanks

bill m

The right hand teeth are sharper. You need to resharpen the left side and check the height of the rakers.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

This is how I solved that problem for me. When the motor is on the right side side I take 2 more swipes of the file than when the motor is on the left side. it sounds kinda dumb,but somehow I did it and it worked. Took me a few chains, ::)  to figure that out. I suppose I cannot bear down as hard when the motor is on the right side. Keeps the chain pulling into the wood and it cuts straight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

Sometimes its not so much that you need to take more strokes off one side, but the file pressure needs to be applied differently.  Filing isnt the easiest thing to learn.  A short checklist to help keep your chain cutting straight.

Keep all teeth sharp, no nicks or gall on the leading edge.  Duh I know

Keep all teeth the same length from working corner to the back of the tooth.

Keep all angles as close to the same as possible.

Ensure there is a sufficient amount of "hook" in the cutter.  Not too much or the chain will dull quickly.  To little and it will not be sharp.

Ensure rakers (depth setting part of the tooth) are filed or ground to the proper setting.  Use a guage for best results

Occasionally check the rails of your bar to make sure they are square.

beenthere

1270d

That is a good checklist IMO
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Another thing that can cause the saw to cut crooked is a worn bar.  Check to make sure the rails (the part of the bar the chain rides on) are square.  sometimes one will be worn down further than the other, causing the cut to turn towards the lower rail.  Baileys sells a hand tool to file them back square (also works for deburring the bar). You can also fix it on a belt sander, if you have a jig or table to hold the bar perpendicular to the belt.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kardar2

Thank for all your Wisdom guys  8)

Thank You Sponsors!