iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butchering and cooking goose

Started by Qweaver, May 08, 2010, 02:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I know nothing about geese but I own 5 (four now)  I bought five just to have them around but the dominant male was attacking his refection in anything shiny, including truck and car bumpers and paint.  I'll have to pay to have them fixed.  So I shot him in the head today.  We were told that skinning was the easiest way to clean him.  I've skinned deer faster than this goose.  I don't know what type of goose he is...just a typical looking domestic goose.
Well, he's skinned and ready to cook and we don't have a clue how to do that either.  Draping bacon over the breast is one idea I've seen.

Quinton 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

TXCEDARCHOPPER

Used to hate even the smell of those birds cooking in the house but once I learned to remove the skin, I found that I love them braised.  I remove all of the skin and as much of the fat as I can then I sear the meat (bone in) in olive oil and cracked black pepper.  When the meat is just crispy, I remove it form the pan and set it aside.  In the same pan that I seared the meat in, I saute chopped mushrooms (lots), chopped garlic ( 4 large cloves at least) and a medium shallot with a big ole clump of butter.  When the mushrooms are soft, de-glaze the pan with a cup of hearty red wine and add the meat back to the skillet. Add a can of beef broth, another dash of black pepper, cover with foil and slide the mess into a pre-heated 325 degree oven.  Let is braise for 2 hrs.  Remove and let it sit for about 15 minutes and all of the bones should just slide out.  Served over a bed of wild rice is the best.  I came up with this about 10 years ago and found that it's works well with just about any small game that you can run ove
cedar chopper: noun; A backward, narrow-minded ignorant person from Central Texas, a red-neck. The term was derived from individuals who earned their incomes from harvesting cedar (juniper) trees for fence-posts.

Norm

That does sound good TX.  :)

I read your bio and have many of the same interests myself, welcome to the forum. :)

TXCEDARCHOPPER

Thank's for the welcome Norm.  Glad to be here.  Seems like a lot of good folks around here.
cedar chopper: noun; A backward, narrow-minded ignorant person from Central Texas, a red-neck. The term was derived from individuals who earned their incomes from harvesting cedar (juniper) trees for fence-posts.

Thank You Sponsors!