iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CSM - how many sharpenings?

Started by outofmire, August 23, 2009, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outofmire

Just wondering how many sharpenings you get per chain when using it as a csm.  And do you sharpen free hand or bend sharpener?

Rocky_J

What is 'csm'? And I've never in my entire life ever tried to count how many sharpenings I got out of a chain. I just use them until I run out of tooth.

outofmire

Chain saw mill.  I was hoping to get an idea of how long a chain might last. 

chucker

?? none if you hit something hard enough!! lol  otherwise probably around just not enough ??
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jezz mate you got me going back in the memory bank there thats going back about 13-15 years there   :) ??? ::)  :D :D :D Ill just give a simple answer whenever it needed shapend it got done and when you needed a new chain it got one  ;) :D ;D running skiptooth chain with a 3120 on clean Dfir and Hardwood logs anywhere from 3 to 10 sharpens a day depending what size you where sawing  ;) Beams where good  ;) :D ;D 8)

Sharpening Freehand on a 46" bar took dad or me about 10min start to finnish  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

outofmire

the logosol site says 3000 bf per chain, and I was just trying to find out if others found that to be true.  So I guess I should have asked how many bf per chain. 

ladylake

Just hire or buy a band mill or swing mill if it a huge log. Way less waste, you won't be wearing out your saw, doesn't cost that much. I know with my bandmill the value of the extra boards will pay for the sawing.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

oldsaw

Depends on what you hit in logs and how often you hit stuff.  Depends on what you are cutting as well.  I'd say 3000bft would be on the long side but do-able.  I always end up hitting something before then and then things change.

Personally, I don't look at it that way.  I've got 5 chains for my 42" bar and I just run them until they start getting dull, change, then sharpen at the end of the day on the grinder.

A CSM is great if you are a "wood opportunist" and don't need a ton of lumber.  I use mine to keep my "stash" stocked up for my own woodworking projects.  Been a slow log year though, but then again, haven't had much time anyway.  Many of the logs I've milled have been in places where you wouldn't be able to get a bandmill in or even the log out.  Worked well for me though, I carried them out board by board.  I can't imagine being without one myself.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Mad Professor

Quote from: outofmire on August 23, 2009, 02:59:16 PM
the logosol site says 3000 bf per chain, and I was just trying to find out if others found that to be true.  So I guess I should have asked how many bf per chain. 

3000 bf/chain, maybe if you are cutting clean logs made out of margarine.

P.S. I own a logosol..........

rebocardo

10-20 times, though I changed my chain probably every hour or whenever I thought the lumber did not look planed. Metal or ceramic might take it out before 5 times.

Al_Smith

If you are really concerned about it do a search for Pro Works .This is a homebuilt chainsaw mill plans type thing sold by a gent by the name of Alan Combs I believe .You can also get a link by visiting "The Milling Masters " .

Mr. Combs is a wealth of info in matters related to chainsaw milling and has a bunch of tips  about chains etc .

Thank You Sponsors!