iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

unfixable tractors

Started by currantvt, February 05, 2015, 09:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

currantvt

This article was in the wired magazine http://www.wired.com/2015/02/new-high-tech-farm-equipment-nightmare-farmers/, really interesting that farmers dont want second hand modern tractors as they are unfixable. My take on this is that it is leaving the door open for other manufacturers  to step in to the market. I've always reckoned that JD's were great to have as new but overpriced secondhand , not helped by them closing the local dealership.

sawguy21

I am a small engine guy, same thing here. Thanks to the esteemed Mr Nader and his friends at the EPA thou shalt not mess with thy engine. Frustrating but no one can step up and do things the old way.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Still, there is a reason that second hand Deere hold their value. Come the day that they cannot be fixed, that value will correspondingly go down. But until then.......
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

everything i owned was deere and i own alot, but that has been changing. my opinion about deere is they have built this marketing fasade that green is worth more and to this day the masses have bought into it :) if you look at things in detail other brands give you cheaper buying power for actually better products. most ag companies have merged but, deere remains solo. hum kinda of interesting  that the computers can't be hacked, oh wait you have to spend money for a deere mechanic to service the equipment.as i keep upgrading equipment, its not being replaced with more green though :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

blackfoot griz

I have been fairly loyal to JD over the years. On my little 4600 utility tractor, I am just finishing up converting my FEL, bucket and fork lift attachment to the skid steer style attachment system and getting rid of the factory JD only style.

Most/all of the other utility tractors use the universal skid steer style attachment system except the green guys.

I will paint my conversion JD green when completed though.  :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red oaks lumber on February 05, 2015, 01:09:18 PM
everything i owned was deere and i own alot, but that has been changing. my opinion about deere is they have built this marketing fasade that green is worth more and to this day the masses have bought into it :) if you look at things in detail other brands give you cheaper buying power for actually better products. most ag companies have merged but, deere remains solo. hum kinda of interesting  that the computers can't be hacked, oh wait you have to spend money for a deere mechanic to service the equipment.as i keep upgrading equipment, its not being replaced with more green though :)

So you now have orange
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PineNut

JD will not always fit JD. When I got forks for my FEL, they would not fit the loader. Seems that two pins for the forks were spaced just a little different than the holes on the FEL. Both sets of forks were the same size. The manager would not take my word for it and came out to see for himself. He did make it right.

red oaks lumber

peter
i got every color of the rainbow :D plus a few other colors, orange being one of them ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

DDDfarmer

only have three deere johns here round baler, manure spreader and 1930 or 40's potato planter.  most reliable is the tater planter.  Tractors are mostly red plus some orange, blue, light green.  The NH is the newest with the most wires, sensors, switches and relays and at times what a pain! I don't know if we can fix 1/4 of this tractor.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

kiko

This article is interesting and I can see the problems that could arise for the farmer that wants to fine turn machine operation to suit his particular needs, terrain, ect. However,  these machines are all repairable.  Take emissions engines for example.  Keep in mind under all the sensors, ecms the same old engine sits there.  The systems simply monitor and control the same parameters that were nessesary for old mechanical engine to run at peak performance.  With john deere, service literature is available that will lead to the problem or problem area.  The most common and most commonly missed malfunctions in my experience are the wires them selves.   The plastic braid wrap that is used for the wiring harness will smash the wires together eventually causing the wires to contact , but this does not nessesarily cause a smoking short as in the past.  If the ECM detects the short it will shut down the current and code up.  Same thing for an open circuit. The farmer with this repeat sensor failure probally needs a wiring harness.  I don't deal much with farm equipment but rather logging equipment.  That being said I have not needed any programming to repair any piece of john deere equipment that has come my way, reprogramming being the exception.

sprucebunny

I'm pretty angry about all the computers/sensors that have been added to tractors, trucks and cars.
The majority of the malfunctions on my Ford diesel are the sensors themselves.
I won't be buying anything newer than 1999. Ever.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ford_man

I can fix mechanical problems ,I can fix hyd problems but I can't see electricity so I don't know where it is broke. >:( >:(

Jamie_C

Quote from: Ford_man on February 06, 2015, 08:31:28 AM
I can fix mechanical problems ,I can fix hyd problems but I can't see electricity so I don't know where it is broke. >:( >:(

I used to think the same way, a good multimeter can help you "see" where it is broke. I certainly wouldn't tackle wiring in a house but wiring in a machine doesn't bother me anymore. Think of the wires as tiny hoses that carry power instead of fluid, seems less intimidating that way.

DanG

I hate all of this computerized gadgetry we have these days.  Things we used to fix in minutes and for pennies now cost days of down time and hundreds of dollars!  >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandhills

After a LOT of nagging from my wife and family I finally broke down last spring and for the first time in my life  took out a loan to buy a "dependable" newer pickup.  It's an '06 that had a brand new crate engine in it, within about 2 weeks of owning it I also now own a hand held analyzer to plug into the on board computer to keep it running  ::).  Not gonna name any brand to avoid the big brand war, but would like to have my old one back.
I'm in total agreement with sprucebunny.  Tractors and machinery these days are a whole other nightmare, all mine are all still old though  ;D.

gspren

I have 2 JD tractors, a 1988 2355 & a 1956 620, and on either one if you point at a part I probably know what it is. Under the hood of my 2013 diesel PU there are things that I have no idea of why they are there.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

Finding part numbers for all Deere products is available through jdparts.com with free registration. Also, service tech manuals are available for a reasonable price.
Don't know if other brands have such an extensive data bank easily accessible or not. But it is quite handy to anyone wanting to find a part (doesn't mean it is available but at least have a pic of the part and can search the number).
Just FYI...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DDDfarmer

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Foxtrapper

Personally, I am going back to the early 70's machines, back before electronic ignination and computers.  Points and condensers are easy enough to fix, and I don't have to spend hours removing stuff to get to what I need to replace or repair... :-\
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Thank You Sponsors!