iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Man Cave

Started by stumpy, May 04, 2011, 06:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Here's a project I just completed.  A friend demolished an old building and save the 120 year old 10x10 beams.  Originally we thought they were pine, but when we opened them up, we were tickled to find they were doug fir.  I sawed them into 8x8 beams and 3x9 rafters, and           6/4x7 decking. Also some 4/4 wall boards. He wanted a "Man cave" room in his new pole barn.  Here's what I built.  The frame is notched and mortise and tennoned. I hesitate to call it timberframe because it is pretty basic.  I have to give a big Thanks to "Rooster" as he gave me much guidance in how to build it.

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Weekend_Sawyer

I'd definatly call it a post n beam man cave. That's real nice work.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

fishpharmer

That looks good stumpy.  Will there be an elevated floor?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

stumpy

Yes, the railing around the top is for that.  The owner weighs about 385 pounds and he wanted it built strong enough that he could carry and engine up there.  He and I got up there and jumped up and down and it didn't move a hair.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

jdtuttle

Nice job, every man cave needs a beer fridge & tv, along with a comfortable seat to relax. Any plans for the finishing touches?
jim
Have a great day

thecfarm

That is some pretty wood and a nice looking design.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Q: What do you call a 385 lb man carrying an engine?
A: Sir.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

christmas-tree

Nice job, I love how you work

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Burlkraft

Nice work Jim   8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ely

Rooster

Nice job Jim! Welcome to the Timber-framing family!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Warbird

That is some really nice work.  Well done.

red oaks lumber

something that nice will soon become the "woman cave" or both. very nice lookin
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

That is a very neat and very usable addition.  It certainly looks like you breathed new life into some old timbers.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!