iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler E Classic 2400 Leaking

Started by stratford 50, January 06, 2021, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratford 50

My vintage 2014 e classic 2400 sprung a leak on 12/31/20. The leak is on the right upper corner of the door frame. Looks like the metal split, it does look weldable, for now I used epoxy 2216 for a quick repair & it is holding @ the moment. This is my 2nd central boiler that sprung a leak, so 12 years 2 boilers for 144 cord of wood doesn't seem to be cheaper than oil. I added water treatment & use ashtrol & Lime  throughout the life of the boilers. I have spoken to Central Boiler & they want me to send pictures to a CB dealer & then will see what the next step is. If this boiler isn't repairable it will be the end of burning wood for me.

petefrom bearswamp

2005 model classic, one leak in 15 years.
Stay pin weld leaking, easily patched by my local welder.
I don t burn wood to save money, but for exercise and utilizing culls, etc from my woods and slabs from my mill until I quit last summer
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

hedgerow

stratford 50  Don't feel alone. I have a 11 year old Garn that is on number two leak. Two years ago Dec it started leaking and I keep adding water till spring. Three grand and three months I was back up and running. 23 Dec 20 it starting leaking again in a different place I am sure another weld has failed. I don't have any place to store the 2,000 gallons of treated water that's in it to try and repair it right now so I put some high temp silicone on it and have it down to losing about a gallon a day. Going to try to get by until spring. Like you I may be done this time with burning wood. I spend about 30 grand eleven years ago to put the complete system in. I do heat my house shop and domestic water with it. But if I end up spending three grand every couple years that will buy a lot of propane. Garn likes to say there boilers are good for 20-30 years not this one. Couldn't get any help from them. 

Wood Shed

My Central Boiler 6048 has been leak free since new in 2006.  My neighbors (father and son) each had the same model one year before I did.  They both experienced leaks 2-3 years ago and are no longer using their 6048 models.  Can not explain why mine has out lasted most but my nearest dealer says he has models that are approaching 20 leak free years. 
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Rebarb

I can only speculate as to why a boiler may leak prematurely.

1. Overheating heating which may compromise a weld.
2. Drastic temperature fluctuations which allows condensation to build up between spray on insulation. 
3. Changing water and lack of proper concentration of chemicals. 

I live in logging country and brother owns a sawmill but regardless of the ease of firewood access......if my boiler leaks prematurely (CB 5036) then I'm done. 

I have 15 cords sitting in the wood shed and will let'er rot before I go chasing leaks, yes I've heard the horror stories.

E Yoder

Moisture from the firewood condensing on the firebox walls and door jambs can cause them to rust thin.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

ButchC

I agree that there is no way I would purchase a new OWB every 6 years, matter of fact I'm not sure I would pay today's prices for one period! My woodmaster is 13(I think) years old and never had any leaks and few parts still running the taco pumps that were originally purchased.The total spent was less than 6K when we installed the system. We moved 6 years ago and took the woodmaster with us. It cost me over 3k for new underground line, concrete, excavator fittings etc.  l take care of mine and maintain it to schedule. We live in an area that has lots of OWBs and most of them get zero care. I stop and chat with the  people and all but one is over 10 years old and nobody has had leaks. I think local water properties has something to do with it? Maybe dumb luck?  
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

PoginyHill

Whether this topic or other products, I think it's easy to assume problems are widespread - when in fact it is probably a tiny percent of users. We are much more likely to hear of problems people have, but rarely hear a peep from those who have no problems. After all, who wants to read a thread "Having no problems with my OWB".
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

nativewolf

I have done the numbers on the OWB and I frankly don't get it but then I think the industry evolved when fuel prices were much higher.   Today the boilers have become much more expensive while fuel, natural gas especially, is cheap at 1995 pricing and fuel oil is not much more than 2006/7 pricing.   That's real pricing.  So if you assume any wage increases that natural gas price is looking really really cheap.
Liking Walnut

PoginyHill

Can't argue with that @nativewolf . When I put mine in 3 years ago, it was not a financial decision. I was "paying" for a hobby. Plus what else would I do with the junk I wanted out of my woods?
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

thecfarm

Then OWB was not all that bad in price when I got mine, back in 2007. Than things went high and I do mean high.  :o  For once I bought something at the right time.  I own land and burn a lot of junk. But and I do mean but, it does take more time to cut the junk too. But when I cut a EWP pine 2 feet across dead that adds up quick. But those 4 inch fir adds up slow.
As I said before, I doubt I will get another OWB. The cost is just too much. 
Now if I can find someone that will make me one, like my Heatmor for about $5000 I would do it again. Maybe when my OWB dies, I can cut it open and have someone build me one. But I know the cost of material and labor would not work out. I feel all my Heatmor is, is just a half round tube full of water.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stratford 50

Update,  I now have 3 separate leaks in the door frame, 2 are right across from each other, tried temporary repair no luck. Running it until it shuts down from low water & then onto oil, So long Central Boiler you win, I run out of money to burn wood!!!

hedgerow

Quote from: stratford 50 on January 22, 2021, 02:18:17 PM
Update,  I now have 3 separate leaks in the door frame, 2 are right across from each other, tried temporary repair no luck. Running it until it shuts down from low water & then onto oil, So long Central Boiler you win, I run out of money to burn wood!!!
Sorry to hear the leaks are getting worst. I have high temp silicone holding my Garn together now. I have mine down now to about a quart a day. Trying to get threw until spring then I will drain it and see if its fixable. I may be done with wood also. 

Thank You Sponsors!