iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying CANT

Started by mjb, March 10, 2022, 08:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjb

I don't have a solar kiln and I don't see one in my short to mid term future, but I still need to mill and then air dry some lumber. My question is....

Is lumber dimensionally more stable when air dried as a CANT as opposed to air drying the same amount of board feet of lumber that has been milled? For example... (1) 6x6 CANT vs (6) 1x6's. I realize it may take longer to dry, but if it means less warping, twisting and cupping, I would sign up for that.

The thought is that after some time, I can throw the "drier" CANT back on the mill to get my desired dimensional lumber.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

WDH

Drying in the cant does not work well at all.  The thick cant will take several years to dry where boards will dry in a fraction of the time.   However the bigger problem is the thick cant will develop many more drying defects like cracks, big splits, and checks that will ruin many of the boards that will be sawn from the cant later.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on March 10, 2022, 09:45:11 AM
Drying in the cant does not work well at all.  The thick cant will take several years to dry where boards will dry in a fraction of the time.   However the bigger problem is the thick cant will develop many more drying defects like cracks, big splits, and checks that will ruin many of the boards that will be sawn from the cant later.  
Adding on to Danny's excellent comments is the fact that you will have a mc% delta across the cant, and when you resaw it most likely the boards will cut because the two faces are different mc%'s.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mjb

Thank you gentlemen...

So nice to have experienced and knowledgeable folks available to us newbies!

Stephen1

It sure is great to have good info. Cut the boards and stack an sticker properly, some weight on top of the protected pile and you will have useable construction lumber by fall. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

if your final is a thicker beam, you can glue them back together in order.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

...With appropriate nails, bolts, or structural screws  ;).

Thank You Sponsors!