iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple

Started by xlogger, September 11, 2020, 06:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Not sure on here is best place for this question but on Maple logs some are reddish. Is this from minerals in soil? When sawed they stay that way. Seems like most folks like whiter better.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

K-Guy

It could be Red Maple.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I have sawn some pinkish ones.  I believe that it is just natural variation in color that could be caused by a number of factors, hard to pin down just one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

could be silver maple.

YellowHammer

Is it a hard or soft maple?  The predominant species of soft maple I see in North Alabama and Southern Tenn is red maple, and it can have a distinctly pink or red color in the wood.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

RussMaGuss

Last year I sawed up some sugar maple that was spalted. Had a variety of colors from orange-ish pink-ish to dark blue-dark grey. Really pretty stuff!

xlogger

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 12, 2020, 08:35:27 AM
Is it a hard or soft maple?  The predominant species of soft maple I see in North Alabama and Southern Tenn is red maple, and it can have a distinctly pink or red color in the wood.  
Pretty sure its soft Maple, I get one time to time that's red inside (not bright red).

Hossco

Maybe hybrid Boxelder cross ??

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I also think box elder, which is indeed a sister to soft maple and hard maple.  Except for some reddish color, boxelder looks identical to soft maple.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!