iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices just took another dive.

Started by BargeMonkey, April 12, 2016, 11:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaynman

same here lots of times over an hour n half a turn loading out of a bunch pile burn as much fuel climbing the hill as coming out loaded probably more cant load over the rack or they will shoot over the cab sometimes built the rack up some but them u tend to load too heavy on the flat ground had a guy load a triaxle once right off the buggy only had to grab three sticks out of the pile that was a long run had a cutter and dozer man runnin had to come in 2 hrs ahead of them to keep up big wood that job avg 144 to a stick over 350 to a tree and the beech looked like log trees nice bowl on a southwest hillside lots of times bringing the wood out on a neighbor helps if they get along
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

killamplanes

Here we got a lot of patches of timber surrounded by fields an 80ac of timber is big for us skidding usually not a problem getting to the landing across fields is the big problem. In summer we tend to do are pasture jobs cause all the fields are planted but there usually pretty low quality.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

ehp

I have a strange feeling things are going to drop in price around here pretty soon, just to many signs are saying that and the mills are backing off on buying stuff from different loggers that they do not buy from full time . . Seen 120,000 feet of good logs last week the mill turned down so it going to hit the fan here pretty soon

Bert

Same here, mills are packed with wood in Mid April which typically doesn't happen til late June. With scragg wood, peelers, and pulp markets jammed up its going to be a long summer.  :(
Saw you tomorrow!

Plankton

Just got knocked down 10$ /mbf on my spruce, mill is plugged up with wood apparently. Not suprising the weather has been perfect at least around here sunny 70 no bugs and no mud!

Sent 4 loads last week and the price drop went into affect yesterday so that's nice at least.

ehp

Had the talk on Wed with the Mill, I'm suppose to be ok and cut as much as I want which I am hoping is true cause I got lots to cut

BargeMonkey

Only shipped 1 ld last wk, paid fairly well for marginal wood. Every yard is full of wood, and now with NYS regulations on WA I think your going to see alot of guys slow right down. What I'm cutting now is close to junk on top of the mountain, about 45mins round trip to a drag. I cut for 3 straight days last wk, I don't think I've ever had this much wood laying on the ground before.

jwilly3879

Spruce and balsam just went up $35/mbf last week to $285.

Corley5

It's all in the tank here.  100" sugar maple flooring bolts and 10' maple and basswood sawlogs are still moving and that's it.  No one is buying hardwood or softwood pallet bolts.  We're on a 20 cord a month quota on basswood and aspen pulp.  I haven't checked the hardwood pulp market as all of mine is going into my own firewood side.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

killamplanes

here the good blocking mills are jam packed softwood is a tuff sell no orders coming into the mills for them, the good grade mills and tie mills are paying pretty good but not a lot of log movement. The drury days of summer have arrived veneer buyer shutting down buying at end of month for the summer. So ur left with grade and under to cut..  I got a large couple 100k bdft tract offered to me along a creek, easy access and cutting but what do u do when the good mills for blocking don't care to add to there large inventory of logs plus I hauling 2 hours round trip for a 1000 dollar load I get half plus have to do all the work I think its not the time. That's why I have other businesses this time of year I'm not that dedicated :D :D :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

BargeMonkey

I have purposely kept my "real" job because I knew right now wasn't the time to jump. Bought some nice WO and big pine the other day, short skid but about vertical. More and more of these 10-40 acre woodlots that are overgrown and marginal wood. I can't complain, my buyer treats me pretty good, they are sawing almost 100k a day in Davenport so they still need a steady supply.

killamplanes

I divide my tree up between as much as 5 sawmills here and veneer exporter. Theres not a one stop mill paying great for veener, grade, tie ,mat log, blocking etc.  Here each mill has there own niche market and knowing each ones strong point gets us the best market price for each log and in return tree.. We cut a lot of different species though..

4x4American

Quote from: coxy on April 13, 2016, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 13, 2016, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on April 13, 2016, 01:42:22 PM
Yer sittn on 1.5-2 mill bf?  What are you? Some kind of timber Baron?
Not even close. I'm a small ant on a big hill around here.  :D you get in some of these spots in upstate NY / Catskill's area and there is wood to be cut. I walked a job and came in 2nd on bid, the light cut was 400mbdft, the big cut in 5yrs will be 2mil ft. The wood is out there, I can count 10-12 lots Ive got and come up with 1mil+, most of its paid for already. We are primarily an excavation / mining company, i run the wood end when im home. I buy alot of small parcels, but when I do I buy 6-8-10 of them at once if I can to cut. We make the joke if I came home right now to cut fulltime, I wouldn't leave "town" for 2yrs. It's out there you just need to go find it. Didn't mean to make the comment to brag, once I have my pile of FW up for the yr and some saw logs for us we will park everything till the price comes back up.
"COXY"....  how much wood is going to waste on DEP land ???  If most of you guys in other parts of the country saw the wood we have around on state and DEP land you would be sick.
its disgusting the trees that go to waste on them lands NY would be out of the hole and they could pay every person in the state a good chunk of change every month to live   :D :D :D :D   my wood just went up 10 bucks a thou on some not much but better than the other way  I should start thinking like some around here its going up so lets go buy a new new skidder and have it a few months till they repo it  :D :D things will go up after we get the good guy in office there will be lots of industry in ny I hope  :) :) :-X :-X

They call it "forever wild"  my friends and I call it forever wasteland lol   the timber is unbelievable
Boy, back in my day..

BargeMonkey

I know where some cherry is sitting that will tip over and die before it's ever cut. Gorgeous stuff, it's just the whole ankle bracelet thing you know.  :D we have 1 guy local who is blacklisted from the major buyer in our area for that type of thing, do my best to stay honest.
Bought some WO, I've never actually cut a WO in my life. Just not right in my area, this lot has RO, rock and WO. About 1/2 done where I'm at now, got 30-40kft down in the lower part to cut and 200 cord more and get moved finally. Supposedly price will pick back up, I still averaged 540 the other day, the oak was mostly marginal, keeps fuel in my tank.  :D

Ed_K

Sent a mixed load of oak 2 weeks ago, it averaged $527. waiting on last weeks it was mixed species pallet to #1.
Ed K

madmari

Shipped 3 loads of red oak, a few cherry last week. Took extra time to cut for clear faces,sweep, most of which were 3 clear and better. Cut many 16' that were 3 and 4 CF, no sweep. Log spec sheet from the mill stated $600/mbf for prime. Received $424/mbf average.  And the mill is begging for logs. Good luck with that.
  My logs will go north of the border again.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

millcreek40

I sold a load of white @ red oak   the red average  was $585  the white oak average  $602   some of the wo veneer  paid $1325
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

coxy

there holding here  :-X :-X         never cut a white oak tree in my life  go figure  :laugh: :laugh:

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on May 20, 2016, 08:35:00 PM
there holding here  :-X :-X         never cut a white oak tree in my life  go figure  :laugh: :laugh:
Here I thought I was the only one.  :D :D :D  only one I ever saw nice enough to cut was behind our schools bus garage. We cut some massive RO off the farm when I was a kid, 1x 16' stick in the snow was all I could handle, loaded them with a chain because the rotobec head couldn't get around them. Yeah just bought 30-40mbdft of it, some nice pine, drops off so steep you can't crawl back up it. Im going to trademark / copyright cutting these small lots on private roads soon, other guys turn their noses up, 1 turns into 3, 3 turns into 6.  :D city people with money, they could care less as long as the mess is gone, atv trails are in and they have a nice deer plot. 1/2 way thru my "extended vacation" now, have 30+ to cut and ship when I get home and get moved off this woodlot, been trying to wait out the wood surplus sitting here on the boat.

millcreek40

This job is only 11 acres   my uncle cut the red oak thirty years ago  there wasn't a good market for the white oak so they left it . One was 40" on the stump today. They do have a big button swell but still some very nice wood. I have photos on my iPhone but have never figured out how to put them on here.guess that's why I cut wood for a living😃
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

grassfed

I sold SF sawlogs this week. Just under 5mbf load of 187 logs. The scale seemed fair to me and was right where I thought it would be. These trees are not too big with 12' and 16's running between 15bf and 50bf max, average 26.5 bf. I always estimate trees like this at 25 bf a log and then compare that to the scale I get.  Lots of work but the price was ok $315mbf not great but holding. The log yard had shipped most of its wood over mud season and was not that full. I sold some nice maple to another yard a couple of weeks ago and got a bad scale. I figured two #1s and three #2s with the rest pallet but I thought that the #1 were pushing veneer. I only got 3 #2 sawlogs and the price was crumby I was mad but they cut checks on the spot and I needed fuel money. One thing I noticed was that the new price list has all black cherry straight through at $200 and no cherry veneer !!!! WOW! Maple is still ok here and I should have sold my maple to this yard.
Mike

coxy

we would go out of biz if cherry was only 200 that's 70-80 % OF what we cut around here in spots   then its the same with ash

killamplanes

The lowest I get here is 250 which is blocking. And my blocking is barely good firewood. I pull tie, mat logs anything out of it before I call it blocking. Out of 10 loads I might have 1 load of blocking.  Different timber different places I guess.

BargeMonkey

Correct my math if I'm wrong, it's  2.2 cord per mbdft.  :D. Around 375-400 on the header is it, I will ship some nasty oak for 350 but anything decent goes for fw at the lower prices. I'm just far enough away that HW pulp doesn't pay, and trucking to Glens falls doesn't cover the fuel costs and eventual DOT problems, I don't care how new your truck and trailer is, and we have an ungodly maintenance program. I'm paying 40% right now, ship just enough hemlock pulp to keep my jobs clean, actually sawing every stick of junk in the yard right now into 4x4 and 6x6 for a large dunnage order. I hope with my 5-6wks off I can get done where I'm at, and moved. Have 30-40mbdft of real nice big stuff left I've been waiting to cut, good wood is hard to come by up here and hate giving it away. That WO job I've got is so steep I may need tips from you west coast guys on setting up a yarder, can't crawl back up it. ;D I couldn't give my first buncher away, 1187Case with a shear, I had it all measured out for a heel, grapple and add a winch just for working the banks on some of these steep jobs. My cousin cuts for wagner, we have this thing where if we buy something he has to buy something, I figured a "westcoast style yoader" would raise the bar.  :D

Ed_K

My last two loads of r/b oak were within $10. avg at two different mills. Was trying out a different mill in N.H. trucking was expensive with the N.H. mill. Then on monday my reg mill email new price list, their up $50. on red oak. But they don't buy veneer so I'm going to try Columbia F.P. for my next lot. Price of s.wood on bloomberg was up to $331. but now dropped to $303. MBH.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!