iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difference between two saws 029/290 vs a 280

Started by Nebraska, August 30, 2022, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

Local hardware store invested in a stihl dealership and brought in a small engine guy. So now as of a couple weeks ago I have a local saw dealer. So I took my old 029 which was resurrected as a 039 a few years ago, it wouldn't star all of a sudden. They did a compression check and only would make about 60 psi. Pulled the muffler  and the cylinder doesn't look bad. I dont care forcthe saw much and its been fixed on enough.. So probably i'm going to be done with the saw, but while I was in there the saw mechanic said "open the saw case on the floor and take a look." . In the case was a 280 very clean it looked to have had not much use.. It was wearing a super low kickback safety chain a March 06 purchase date written in the case. He said the saw's owner (I him know fairly well) brought it in said it wouldn't run.  John put new fuel lines on it cleaned up the carb and it ran well andxits for sale at a reasonable price.  So my old saw  lived up up at the cabin its job was to clean up down limbs and cut firewood. Maybe a face cords worth a year. This looks like a good replacement.
My question is what's the difference between a stihl 029/290 farm boss  and a 280?  Is the 280 a pro saw model? I know it's not made anymore. It's a Stihl it's not really in my wheelhouse as I have been running mostly Husky and Dolmar for the last 20 years. Just figured I'd ask here before I buy it.

Fishnuts2

Not a fan, least not the ones I've had or worked on.  Odd build compared to others, I'd prefer the 029 or 290 as you can make a larger saw out of them like you already have.

You were on the right track with the Huskies and Dolmars in my opinion.

firefighter ontheside

I know the 280 is not a pro saw, but we have had a 280 on our ladder truck for 20 years and it has been a good saw.  Firefighters abuse stuff.  We have had the saw in for service numerous times, but nothing major has been done. Usually just cleaning carb.  I had a 291 and have used the FD 280 a lot, including when I took the forest service wildland fire chainsaw class.  The 280 is a much better saw than my 291 ever was.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!