iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In need of some advice

Started by bioguy, January 13, 2006, 09:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioguy

I am planning to knock down 10 or 12 white pine and Doug fir this weekend. They are about 24-28 inches dbh and are nice and straight. These will be sawn into 2x stuff, and I am planning to square up a cant, then saw through and through at 1-5/8ths then sticker. My WM will handle a 21 ft log. Here are the questions:

Should I saw through and through, or should I turn and saw for the best boards?
What length should I buck to? 20 feet then cut to length as needed? or should I cut a little oversize (say 9 ft if I want an 8 footer out of it)
Should I leave them at max width then rip as needed?
Is 1-5/8ths a good thickness? These will be structural 2x for building a saw shed and tractor/combine barn.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave
bioguy

just_sawing

If your machine doesn't subtrate the kerf out of that 1 5/8 thats fine. Check the final dimension. Bucking more than 4 inches normally is a waste.
1.Have your pattern (what you need to give before cutting)
2. Cut the biggest first. You can always shorten but elmers glue gets expensive.
3 Know where your going to stack before you have wood in the way. It is better to take care of a thousand feet than to have 10 thousand ruin.
4 Cut with a purpose not just to make sawdust. When you have a log jacket boards for paneling may be bettter than low grade 2/4s.
5. Have fun. If you aren't happier cutting the wood than something else work for the something esle.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Thank You Sponsors!