iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cam follower bearings

Started by Dan_Shade, January 10, 2020, 10:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I thought changing these was in the manual,but it isn't...

I seem to remember a trick where you prop the outboard edge of the saw head up with a board or can't hook.

Can someone refresh my memory? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

I think the LT40 is different than the LT35 but be very sure you have the head secured before you remove the cam follower. On the LT35 that bottom cam follower bearing is the only thing holding the head to the bottom rail. Good luck and be very careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Forestry Forum member @Bibbyman covered the procedure very well in "Useful Sawmill Mods"

Go here:      https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.0.html

I changed all 6 of them on my mill in about 2 hours, by myself!

Change them "One at a Time", for safety!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Dan, you use the prop when changing the lower cam followers. 

For the top, use a pry bar to lift the head at that point and use a thick screwdriver, etc. as a wedge to hold it up.  You only need to lift it high enough to turn the roller which is not much.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

Thanks for the info. 

I've been looking at them this afternoon, they all move freely, but sometimes the head feels "bumpy" when moving forward or gigging back.

I have been having some issues with the feed, tightening the belt will make it go a bit better. 
I've been sawing a lot of large poplar lately, going through a 20+ inch cant was really taxing the feed.

I also didn't have the frame quite level, the loader side was slightly up hill.  Not sure if that was making it worse or not. 

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

donbj

Check your chain. It may have some links seizing up and that will cause that as well, or junk caught in the chain
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Magicman

Also be absolutely sure that all of the power feed bearings are turning smoothly.  A "too tight" power feed chain will destroy those bearings.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

Magicman

That's much different from mine, but I would say take the center bolt out to remove the entire assembly ??

Dan_Shade

This is the one on the other side.  (the end opposite of the hitch)

WV Sawmiller

If you do what is holding the head on to the frame? Check that very carefully and make sure the head is secured. Also don't raise the head any higher than you have to to help keep it from being more unstable. I think the instructions also warn to chain the head to a sturdy structure before starting.

I did not pay attention to those cautions and I dropped the whole head unit off mine which is a very traumatic and a very dangerous experience.

As I remember there is a hex socket in the shaft you can use to help loosen/tighten the assembly if it is the same as mine. I did not use one the last time I changed mine but I suspect an impact wrench would have been very helpful.

The next time I change one I will be working from the rear of the mill so I don't have to thread so much chain over the sprocket too. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jcbrotz

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 11, 2020, 10:12:31 PM
How do you change these?

take a wedge and drive it lightly in the end that will raise the rollers enough to remove the weight and unbolt the center bolt and remove and replace the rollers then reinstall.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 11, 2020, 10:33:14 PMAs I remember there is a hex socket in the shaft you can use to help loosen/tighten the assembly if it is the same as mine.
Absolutely.  The cam follower has a hex socket head, so hold the nut and use an Allen wrench or a hex driver to remove it.

jb616

Quote from: Chuck White on January 11, 2020, 06:32:49 AM
Forestry Forum member @Bibbyman covered the procedure very well in "Useful Sawmill Mods"

Go here:      https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.0.html

I changed all 6 of them on my mill in about 2 hours, by myself!

Change them "One at a Time", for safety!
I learned the "One at a Time" the hard way....still have all my limbs but the engine cherry picker in the corner of the garage came in handy... >:( > :-\

Dan_Shade

Does anyone know what the oval point set screw (with rusted up jam nut) is for in the following picture? 

barbender

I believe it is just a safety stop, to keep the head from falling to the side if it gets tipped for some reason.
Too many irons in the fire

Dan_Shade

What is the correct way to change out the ones on the bottom? 

It looks like the entire alignment block needs to be removed to get access. 

Dan_Shade

I changed out the top ones after postponing the task for a few years, the old ones really weren't too bad. 

The new ones were made in China (ordered through woodmizer).  I'll see how these hold up. 

Magicman

Dan, my manual covers how to let the idle side of the saw head down onto a 2X6, etc. to take the weight off of the lower cam followers so they can be replaced.

I have not had any problems with the China cam followers.

Dan_Shade

I can get the weight off ok, but I can't access the part of the roller that the allen wrench fits into.  

Also, I have access to the nut, and if it comes off, the bearing can't be removed due to an interference with the frame...

I have a screen shot of the parts assembly, but it's a .png file and I can't upload it. 

Magicman

You can download an app that will change a file from png to jpg.

Dan_Shade

Magicman

I am at the Cabin and don't know how to do stuff with my phone.  It seems like I had to remove that entire assembly to remove the cam follower(s).  Mine has two under there.  

There are pictures in my gallery in the maintenance/repair file where I did mine.  Also a topic with those pictures.

Dan_Shade

Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!