iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Networking my computers

Started by Jeff, December 04, 2004, 03:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Larry, I am really impressed. (but pokin fun too  ;D )

Seriously, I think you have taken the 'crossover' technology to a much higher level with your design and possibly a technical report from you would make a DanG big hit with the tech'ies  (or DanG well confuse them).

Let's see, those bits leave on a purple wire, get crossed over to arrive on a blue wire. Then they get sent back on a purple wire and cross over onto a blue wire before they arrive . Makes good sense, purple we're leavin', blue we're arrivin' - or sumpthin like that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Well I guess I'll admit failure too as I don't fully grasp the situation. That error code, according  to MS, has to do with Internet connection sharing. One of the machines still has to be the server for internet connection. A hub alone won't do it. The one at the office never did, but maybe there is some new type of hub that I don't know of. I'm certainly not up on all the technology, by a long shot. Never even studied it. I tried using a single machine for internet sharing once with a hub networking 4 machines and it was too slow and unrealiable. That was with Windows 98. So they just went ahead and signed each office machine to a seperate internet account.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

No, I dont think so. The cable modem plugs into the router and then the computers plug into the router.  The computers are not sharing an internet connection, neither is dependent upon the other to use the internet.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

K, I get ya. ;)  So make sure someone hasn't setup internet connection sharing on either PC. Didn't happen to get sutup and change your mind later? ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

The problem doenst seem to be related to the network connection, the network is working, I can print, I can see most everything on the TAMMY computer. Problem is I cannot enable sharing on my computer for it to see available resources on JEFFREY. Currently there are none because I get the error when ever I try to assign permissions. I think may be related to the fact that I can not turn on computer bwosing service, where I get an another error when I click Start for this service.

SwampDonkey

All I know is this kinda stuff that don't work just gripes a fella. Maybe ya had a bad install of SP2. Did ya try to re-install or fix the install? At this point it might be best to have the experts tinker with it.  ???

VA-Sawyer

I've been to Jeff's house and personally checked out the setup. He has IP configured correctly on both computers. The router is correctly providing DHCP service.  I will be able to give him more help as soon as I get a Domain problem solved on a Windows 2000 Server that I'm working on.
VA-Sawyer

Jeff

I think I do my best when I should be sleeping. ;D

I went back in and looked over computer browsing service again. Looked at dependencies and seen that service relied on two other services. Server and workstation. ah... light?  Looked at Server Service and found it disabled, tried to start it and it started, went back and tried to start thr computer browser service and bingo! it started. Soon as I did I was able to see shared documents on the TAMMY machine.

Next challenge pleeeese.... :D  Trying to run programs from the other computer. ;D

Gotta thank Va_ Sawyer for helping me get my I.P. numbers correctly re-asigned on the router and machines, that was the first thing that was wrong!

VA-Sawyer

Good show ! ;D  I'm at pop's place in Greenbush, working on a server in Oscoda. I just had it reboot, so thought I would pop in here and see how things were going. Opps, the server is back up...gota go.
VA-Sawyer

SwampDonkey

Jeff :

Well something had to been turned off or a bad install. Glad ya figured it out.

As I recall all ya gotta do is make a shortcut from Tammy's machine for the program, on your desktop and double click. I've done that in Win 98 networking. I used MS publisher which was not even installed on my machine.:)

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!