iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Walnut...got bit by a spider.......

Started by MotorSeven, June 03, 2012, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

The issue with spider venom is that the enzymes in it actually start to digest the flesh it's injected into.

So you end up with small area of dead and decaying tissue around the bite site. Sort of like gangrene. This is why they are so slow to heal, and so prone to secondary infections.

So yeah, if some mystery bite or sting is not healing, get proper medical attention as it's something that can develop into a serious wound.

Even spiders that are not usually considered dangerous to humans still have similar venom and can cause the same effect.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tree Feller

For spiders (usually garden spiders) and webs in the shop, I use Demon WP. A couple of applications per year usually keep them under control. Reading the label, it also sounds like some nasty stuff so I wear a Tyvek suit (from work) and a dust mask when I spray the stuff.

I don't think Cedar sawdust or chips will have any effect on ants. I cut down a large, dead Cedar that a storm had taken the top off. The main trunk was infested with blsck Carpenter ants. The heartwood had rotted like many large Cedars are prone to do and the ants moved in and made themselves at home.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

macpower

Been there. About 15 years back I got bit while moving a load of treated SYP in from from NC, never did see the critter.  I ended up with a crater the size of  a quarter on my wrist. It took nearly a year to heal, and left a pretty good scar. Made me sicker than h... too. I did the antibiotic thing with it and about a month out the MDs decided it was a likely a brown recluse bite, nearly unheard of here in Maine.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Banjo picker

Quote from: qbilder on June 04, 2012, 03:26:27 PM
The spider in the pic looks just like our black widows. Most of them have a red hour glass on the belly but some do not.

X 2   You better keep a watch on that bite... The spiders in your links are brown...the one that bit you looks black...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Cedarman

Treefeller, for sure, carpenter ants like to live in big cedar logs that are partly hollow because it is so easy for them to remove the doughty wood.  But there are several other ant species that scientific research has shown will avoid cedar mulch. My question is what effect sawdust or cedar mulch will have on fire ants.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MotorSeven

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 04, 2012, 09:24:06 PM
Quote from: qbilder on June 04, 2012, 03:26:27 PM
The spider in the pic looks just like our black widows. Most of them have a red hour glass on the belly but some do not.

X 2   You better keep a watch on that bite... The spiders in your links are brown...the one that bit you looks black...Banjo

No, it is my bad photography. The white paper towel in the sun fooled the auto shutter into closing too quickly. The result was a brown and tan spider that looked black. It was definitely brown and tan with a big belly........not a Recluse.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

sgschwend

I had a buddy who's last digit on his right hand index finger was bitten by a brown recluse in the afternoon.  He went to be early and by midnight almost died.  They rush him to the hospital and the amputated the finger to save him.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

westyswoods

Not saying it can't happen, although this is one reason I will seldom wear short sleeve shirts in the woods or when bucking up firewood, along with gloves. Another good reminder to shake out all bedding and clothes when camping.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

qbilder

Got stung on hand by some kind of yellow wasp yesterday. Never seen the nest until I got hit. Sprayed some scotch guard foaming fabric cleaner all over the nest (all I had) and it totally immobilized the wasps. I crushed the nest and wasps. But my hand is swollen so much today I can barely see my knuckles. And so itchy i'm going crazy. Glad it was me & not my 6 yr. old boy. I grew up in Ohio & bee stings hurt for a few minutes. Here in the desert, everything stings, bites or sticks & the pain lingers. Was sawing a maple log I had lying around for a few days & dang scorpions came crawling out from under the bark. Got some juniper & oak to saw that has been sitting for months & i'm half scared to touch them. All this talk of bugs & spiders is giving me the jeepers.   
God bless our troops

crosscut

me too qbilder put on my welding helmet today little bug in it i guess but my mind said spider after reading these posts i guess. sure got that that helmet off in  a hurry :D

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: crosscut on June 05, 2012, 11:29:17 PM
me too qbilder put on my welding helmet today little bug in it i guess but my mind said spider after reading these posts i guess. sure got that that helmet off in  a hurry :D

Any critter inside of a welding helmet always looks 40 times bigger than actual when it crawls into your field of vision.  :)
Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Thank You Sponsors!