iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need factual opinions on three different mills

Started by grweldon, May 31, 2012, 08:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

grweldon, Welcome. I bought a Norwood mill 11 years ago and I can tell you that the mills are rugged and the people are good and fair to deal with.

The last three years I have been buying my blades from Cooks. The blades are great and so are the people.

Just thought I'd throw that in.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

ladylake

As you mentioned price and delivery are important, kinda seems like the Cooks should have the upper hand being close by.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

grweldon

Quote from: barbender on June 01, 2012, 02:16:55 PM
The mills you have narrowed it down too all have a decent reputation, but I have to ask why a comparable Woodmizer didn't make the list?

Being a manufacturing engineer, tool designer, machinist, welder and all-around manufacturing kind of guy, the single reason that I did not investigate Wood-Mizer is the fact that they use 2-post carriage supports on the smaller models and single-post carriage supports on the larger models.  I am also quite intimate with machine-tool design.  If I had chosen to design a sawmill from the ground up, I would have done it differently.  I'm sure (positive, actually) the Wood-Mizer line do the jobs they are intended to do.  They wouldn't be in business nor have as many satisfied customers if they didn't.  I could get in to a debate with the rest of the forum as to what I believe are the weak and strong points of any machine or machine tool.  I don't choose to do that.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

grweldon

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on June 01, 2012, 07:55:55 PM
Welcome to the forum./
Good luck in choosing a mill. All 3 mfgrs are reputable.
But... "factual opinions" is an oxymoron.

Pete... as soon as I posted that message, I thought just about the oxymoronic nature of the message, but chose to leave it, thinking it would give the keen, critical-thinker something to comment about... Welcome to the club... that is... the keen, critical-thinker club.  I founded the club years ago!   ;D
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

grweldon

Howdy again y'all!

My visit with Cook's was a great trip!  Billy Gautney of Cook's gave me the 25 cent tour! Very nice fellow, in fact, all 5 people that I interacted with at Cook's were very polite and friendly. The MP-32 mills I looked at were sturdy built and seemed to work as intended.  A mill with the carriage electric forward/reverse was not available for me to view, but I'm sure it would have worked flawlessly.  I have no major beefs or issues with anything I saw on the mill.  I have no doubt it will do exactly what it is intended to do.  The MP-32 was a sturdy, well-built mill.  They were building a larger AC-36 mill in the shop.  That thing was a monster and built like a tank!  If I were looking at larger mills, I would certainly consider the AC-36 as one of my possible choices!  Thank you to Cook's for gratiously giving me your time!

grweldon

Today I ordered a TimberKing 1440.  This was the most expensive of the mills that I was considering and I chose this mill over the other two I was considering for three main reasons.  The 1440 uses hydraulics for the head up/down and carriage forward/reverse, it has a manual chain turner instead of using the electric winch to turn logs, and the electric log-loading winch is mounted under the bed to keep from having to remove it after each log.  Small things, to be sure, and I know without a doubt the other mills I was considering were good mills that would perform exactly as advertised.  We all have preferences in automobiles and tractors and countless other things.  In this case TimberKing was my preference.  I hope that I can say that a year (or 10) down the road!  A sincere thank you to all of the folks I interacted with at all three companies.  All were polite, courteous and respectful!  Class acts!

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Quote from: grweldon on June 04, 2012, 12:14:14 PM
I could get in to a debate with the rest of the forum as to what I believe are the weak and strong points of any machine or machine tool.  I don't choose to do that. 

And I respect that.  I also congratulate you on your sawmill choice and wish you the very best with your sawing days ahead.  You have many friends here ready and willing to fly to your assistance with any questions that you may have.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Quote from: bushhog920 on June 01, 2012, 10:04:25 PM
where you at i live about 1.5 hrs from cooks too in south montgomery

I think I understand that you are asking me where I live?

I could be wrong, but I think the forestry forum shows my location as Autauga County...

Riggs

I have a Norwood, however mine is the ML26. I can't testify to the 34, but I am very happy with mine. Their customer service, both before and after the sale was great.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

samandothers

Congrats on making the choice, now let the dust fly!  Hope you can pick up or have it delivered soon.  Let us know how it goes.

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to another TK owner.  You'll enjoy that mill...it's ruggedly built and easy to work on (and lends itself well to modifications ;)).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

grweldon

Quote from: samandothers on June 04, 2012, 05:51:21 PM
Congrats on making the choice, now let the dust fly!  Hope you can pick up or have it delivered soon.  Let us know how it goes.

Delivery is early to mid July... :'(

grweldon

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on June 04, 2012, 07:56:20 PM
Welcome to another TK owner.  You'll enjoy that mill...it's ruggedly built and easy to work on (and lends itself well to modifications ;)).

Modifications!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  Already thinking about what it might take to convert the chain turner to hydraulic and adding a REAL log loader!

customsawyer

Congrats on the mill purchase. Happy sawing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Migal

Welcome grweldon  8) My purchase was based on price and location quality I have been happy with my purchase as I'm sure you will be TK was on my list and they were very friendly in the bidding of for my purchase I picked mine due to Location in the end I later have made a purchase of replacement blades and have heard so much here I made two orders from two suppliers yes one arrived the next day before noon the other two weeks later although both purchase's work great so far I just live where I do... 8) 8) 8) yes I failed to mention brands on purpose.. 8) 8) 8) except TK because they are well built as all and they had my second choice and they need to know it was only the location that made me purchase the one I did.  ;)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

thecfarm

Congrats on the new mill. You will like sawing siding for your house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!