iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worlds Smallest FUNCTIONING Hit & Miss Engine?

Started by Kirk_Allen, June 16, 2005, 04:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

While looking at some Walnut trees the power company is giving me I drove by a parking lot where folks were setting up for a Small Engine show.

I iwll go back tomarrow and get more pics of everything but this engine the guy just had to show off!

Note the Quarter by the wheel as a size perspective.  This thing acutally runs! 

This is one of the Larger engines he had.  I dont recall what he said this one was but its not Hit & Miss. 

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Kirk_Allen

Jeff could probably splain it better that I can but I will try.

Basically the motor only hits (fires) when the rpms drop to a point where flywheels close and the magneto sends a spark.  That one hit creates enough energy to turn the large outer wheels, which are VERY heavy, and that inertia keeps it going for several revolutions without needing to fire again. 

So Jeff, how did I do?

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Thats right Kirk.  :)

Thats not the smallest but its a small one. Ya know what? If that tiny tot is a working model, it would cost you as much to get as the big one there more then likely.  I'll send this to Harold, he will probably know what the bigger engine is at a glance.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

That larger engine looks like it might be a Fairbanks by the shape of the water tank.

Lots of those engines could be purchased with a choice of throttling governor or 'hit-and-miss- governor.  Throttleing governors are what most of us are familiar with-----when the governor weights extend due to cyntrifical force,  a connecting link closes a butterfly in the carb.  That cuts down on the air and less fuel mix is sucked in.  On the Hit and miss,  the linkage from the gov. weights drops down on a notch in the pushrod that goes from the cam to the exhaust valve.  It holds the exhaust valve open until the rpm's drop.  Since there is no compression (or suction) in the cylinder while the exhaust valve is open,  it freewheels.  The intake valve opens by suction and so no fuel is pulled in while the exhaust valve is open.  In addition,  there is usually a trip on the push rod that cuts off the spark (which could come from a mag or a battery and buzz coil (which was another option)  thus conserving battery and/or wear and tear on the ignition.

An exception to all this is the single cylinder Matag washing machine engine which was hit and miss.  It just cut out the ignition,  however and was not nearly as efficient as the larger engines that opened the exhaust valve.

Jeff,

The guy that I got that old single wheeled garden plow from made working steam engine using a .22 case for the cylinder.  I don't know if it was the worlds smallest,  but it was pretty DanG little :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

I saw a large collection of them miniature engines at the Moultrie show last year.  Y'all really oughta think about coming down for it. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

There will be a model hit'n'miss display at an ag fair I am going to in September. These engines are neat but I wonder the original need  for this type over a conventional piston engine. Were they more fuel efficient?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kirk_Allen

My guess would be dependability and ease of taking care of compared to others and the fact that they were designed to run a belt drive for equipment.  Something a common engine cant do on its own. 

Buzz-sawyer

They were designed and sold before over head valve engines came into common use, they are very fuel efficient , dependable, and have few moving parts..........Why was it we stilldont use em??????? :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Check on some of the oil wells where the pump jack has a stationary engine, that runs on fuel from the well.  ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

I asked EZ about that at Sawlex.........He said,"I aint THAT old!".........So I guess they dont use em anymore.....my buddy Jack used to work on em in the eastern Illinois oil fiels....ran on natural gas outta the well they pumped..day in , day out year after year....
I recall hearing them backfire while hunting in the mid 80's.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Texas Ranger

Yep on them pump jacks, can hear em running for a mile. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all must drive with yer eyes closed. Even at Supersonic speed, I eyeballed a couple of 'em, hidin in the weeds, pump jack idle, right there in HO HI HO.  ::) ::)  :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kirk_Allen

OK Jeff, Maybe this is the worlds smallest.  :o

Sorry for the bad pic but it was the best I could get.  The matag in the back is 1/2 scale of an original matag and this guy built the half scale model from scratch.  Once that was done he built the one in front of it that is 1/4 scale of the 1/2 scale.  IT RAN! 

sawguy21

Lots of pump jacks around here. I am going to check that out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Harold

I agree with bro.  noble appears to be a Fairbanks throttler, 6HP at least.

Harold

Corley5

Oil and and gas wells in the Pigeon River State Forest and other remote locales up here use those engines still :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!