iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last weekend sawing

Started by footer, April 26, 2006, 11:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

footer

Last weekend I finaly got around to sawing up a large red oak log that I took in trade for sawing for a guy.

This was a 30 to 36" X 17' log. quit a project for a manual mill. Besides some nice 4/4 pieces, I got 9-  8/4 X 26" X 17' slabs. The two with the pith in the center, I will have to cut in half so that still leaves 7 26" slabs 17' long and 4  nice quarter sawn pieces about a foot wide.  8)
I plan on making some counter tops/ bar tops and table tops out of them in a year or so when I build my house ;D

brdmkr

Footer,

That is some fine looking oak.  It sounds like you got really nice slabs too 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

Beautiful wood ! Cant wait to see what you make out of them too :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Sawdustslinger

jpgreen

Hey that's a Woodmizer..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

sawguy21

I imagine that was slow with a manual mill, I have cut oak on a table saw. That should make some very nice tops 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

footer

Fortunatly I have a loader tractor with forks. It will lift around 6000 lbs. The log was close to 10,000 lbs. The slabs are close to 400lbs a piece. I have a warn 4700lb electric winch in place of the manual one and it was all it wanted to roll the log up on the mill. Tractor wouldn't lift it  :(
The winch hooked to the log turner wouldnt turn it either without help from the tractor. A lot of work, but should be worth it 8) I kind of hated to turn the whole log into a few big slabs, but then again, I don't come across logs that will make slabs like that too often, And I think these will be priceless pieces in my house some day.

sprucebunny

Wow  8) Those are nice slabs.

Makes me wish my mill cut 5" wider............
and that I'd find a hardwood log that big :D

Good work  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Lud

Nice looking planks!

I'm sawing some oak on my manual too.  I chose to use Urban Loogie's  Quarter sawing technique which I found to be  do-able  with the  26" logs I had.

Couldn't have done it without my 60" LogRite hook!   8) 8) 8)

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

footer

Lud,
Last year I quartered a 48" red oak with that method. Turned out great. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. My goal on this one was to get as many 8/4 planks as wide as the saw would cut.  I wish we could post higher resolution photos. These small pics don't show much detail.

beenthere

QuoteI wish we could post higher resolution photos
footer
You can make them bigger (see some of the others), and still stay within the 'forum' policy. You are close, and just need to set the size (limit of 400) and then save under 30k per the instructions.  Detail can be picked up by zooming in on the original.  Keep up the good work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

get xat.com it is free, easy to use and does a great job on compression.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

footer

Quote from: woodmills1 on April 27, 2006, 07:25:30 PM
get xat.com it is free, easy to use and does a great job on compression.

Thanks!  I was looking for that, but couldn't remember what it was called.

Thank You Sponsors!