iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Holland 1920 tractor

Started by jph, January 23, 2007, 03:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jph

I am thinking of buying a  7 year old 1920. Anyone got any views on these tractors or pictures of one working in their woods?
Thanks
John

Captain

My wife's uncle has a 1920, very nice tractor.  I use it on their property often.  It is a whole world better than my 1715.  I particularly like the synchronized shuttle shift and live PTO.

Captain

slowzuki

The 1920 and 2120 were benchmarks for the compact tractor market.  Tough and strong.  People to this day still consider them to be among the best compacts.

RSteiner

A friend has a 2120 he uses in the woods with great results.  I have a 30 hp. Kubota that is just about the size of the 1920 Ford.  I use it in the woods more than any where else.  You will want to set your rear wheels as wide as they can go, this will give you more stability on rough terrian.

The one thing that makes these tractors more useable in the woods is a 3PH winch.  I have a small Farmi on the back of mine.  I can not begin to tell you how much difference the winch makes. 

The 1920 is a good strong machine.

Randy
Randy

Larry

Quote from: jph on January 23, 2007, 03:57:19 AM
Anyone got any views on these tractors or pictures of one working in their woods?
Thanks
John

Look in my gallery album Logging to see a 1720 at work in the woods.

I bought the 1720 when it was a year old for one reason...it was cheap and I figured to re-sell it to make some quick money.  It's still around and no intentions to get rid of it.

Of course just might trade for a 1920 or a 2120 if one came my way...the extra hp and weight would be a big asset.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jph

The 1920  was withdrawn  so I will have to keep looking, but it sounds to be a good model.
Nice photos Larry, they can certainly pull a fair size log.
There is a 1910 listed on Ebay but it is a bit too far away from me and has no loader, so the search goes on.
Thanks John

Tom

I  have a Ford 1910 4wd with ROPS that I bought new in 1985.  It has done most everything I have asked of it.  It may not be the fastest thing but patience gets it done.   I have a quick connect front end loader on it that has been almost indespensible.  (easily removed if room gets tight)  It doesn't carry a lot of dirt but it carrys tools, chainsaw, and other necessities into the woods.  It acts as a radiator protector in brush.  It moves logs and  brush out of the way. serves as a table and bench at lunch.  And, if you need more traction on the front, a load of small logs or bucket of dirt solves the problem.  All of my tires are watered.  It wouldn't be half the tractor without the weight.  The 1910 goes places the Ford 3000 would not; and places I wouldn't even dream of taking the 555 backhoe.   The largest logs I found to be managable were about 16" dia. and 20' long.   It would handle stuff larger in dia. but its a chore. The 3pt. hitch doesn't raise high enough to clear stubs in the ground. 

I also learned to use the drawbar for most of the heavy pulling.

You can use a boom for skidding but it isn't the best way.  I found the best way was a skid hook mounted on a tool bar on the 3 point hitch.  It keeps the weight closer to the tractor and lower to the ground.

The most important thing to remember, when using a small tractor, is don't get in a hurry.

Qweaver

I also owed a 1985 Ford 1910 with a Bradco FEL and Backhoe.  It's exactly the same size as my new Kubota 3130 and it would outlift and outdig the Kubota.  The Ford had bigger hydraulic cylinders and I think that's why it worked harder.  I used it for two years and sold it for what I had in it.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

I have the 2120.This is the 40hp one.It's a much heavier,bigger tractor than the 1920.While worth the extra money.I can do way more with a 2120 than a 1920.I'm glad we bought it.Hope you are looking at a 4 WD one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!