iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Locust Fence Posts in Central Virginia

Started by jameythompson, March 26, 2014, 12:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jameythompson

Hi,

I am looking for Black Locust Fence Posts (4x4s and 4x6s).  I am located in central Virginia.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might source them?  Thanks in advance for your help!

JT

Magicman

I am too far from Va, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jameythompson.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

landscraper

Welcome to the FF Jamey.  I am on the Albemarle/Greene County line, pretty much dead Central Va as well - don't know of any regular sources for locust around here, but I can get cedar for posts, I got a few hundred cedar logs here recently.  Whereabouts are you located?  I know the locust is more plentiful on the slopes of the Blue Ridge, otherwise it is kind of scattered about.  I have one large locust to take down in a few months on a clearing job, but I might get a dozen posts out of it max, that's if it isn't rotten and hollow  ::)
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
No locust to speak of on our Highland property, so I can't help you out with that.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

reswire

I used to live in Southern Maryland, and locust was plentiful on my farm.  I do know this, if you want to saw locust, you must do it green.  ::)  It definitely makes great fence posts, and is excellent for barn posts, etc. as well.  I'd try Craigslist in that area, or contact someone who logs there.  I have a friend who logs full time; send me a pm and I'll give you his number.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

toploader Ford

I saw an ad in the Valley Trader a few months back, stating you pick out what locust you wanted and he would cut them down. Guess he didn't want strangers getting hurt on his place, can't blame him. Put an ad in the Trader in the chainsaw/firewood section saying your looking for good locust big enough for 4x4's and 4x6's, I bet you'll get some calls. I think their website is valleytrader.com or just google Valley Trader. You should get their website and the ad is free. Good locust is getting hard to find. Most locust in Northern Va. has what I call, brown rot.

jameythompson

I appreciate all of the helpful advice.  I am still looking, but now feel like I am at least looking in the right places.

Thanks again!

JT

doghunter

im near Asheville nc I have about  75 locust 4x4x 7-8 feet I would like to sell let me know if your interested and ill pm you my phone number

Thank You Sponsors!