iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbor question

Started by Darrel, February 22, 2017, 10:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

If I desolve an insecticide such as Timbor in my blade lube will I get enough product on my lumber to be effective?

Thanks
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Don P

Doubtful but I'll bet you will clog the tube and kill the groundcover under you (micronutrient, a little in the soil or on leaves goes a long way).  It is not corrosive but when it dries it makes rock candy, I'm not sure what it would do to the guide bearings.

Ianab

Don't think so. Most of the lube is going to be slung off with the sawdust. Like the guys that use diesel for lube don't end up with diesel smelling boards.

To get the borate protection you need to get a good coating on the surface of the board to discourage any bug that might come along and lay their eggs on the surface. If a grub hatches out, it's first meal is borate impregnated wood, and that's the end of that.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

The concentration of the chemical is pretty high since you mix at least one pound of chemical per gallon of water.  That will not treat your sawmill parts very nicely.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

Ok, so I won't be doing that. Somehow I knew that it sounded too easy.
1992 LT40HD

plantman

Timbor is boric acid. I'm not sure what the difference is but many people simply use borax to treat wood for insects , mold and fungus. You can also use propylene glycol which is found in RV antifreeze. Both borax and propylene glycol are relatively safe and they can be brushed or rolled on the wood. Borax will need to be added and mixed to hot water to dissolve it just prior to using. This product - Boracare - is another product manufactured by the same company and contains propylene glycol as well as boric acid. Keep in mind that both of these chemicals will leak out of the wood if it is in direct contact with water outside. http://nisuscorp.com/builders/products/BORA-CARE

Don P

Timbor and the active ingredient in Bora-Care is  actually DOT, Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate. You can make that by combining borax and boric acid with water and heat. Last time I checked, Bora-care contained ethylene glycol. You'll find all that listed on their MSDS at the nisus link.

It diffuses through the wood when the moisture content is above fiber saturation point. That is often misconstrued into thinking that it is not worth using in places that might be exposed to the weather.

plantman

I'm not sure but I don't think they would use ethylene glycol because it's toxic . That's what's in your green automotive antifreeze. Your not supposed to be dumping that on the ground.

Darrel

Back in the days when I worked on the 300 acre blueberry farm I would mix solubor with the organic fertilizer. Even tho I don't under stand it, the farm was still considered organic. Anyway, it is my understanding that solubor, timber and bora-care are chemically the same thing and that there is no glycol of any type in any of them. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know.
1992 LT40HD

plantman

http://nisuscorp.com/builders/products/BORA-CARE
Towards the bottom of this page where it reads "Penetrates wood and remains for the life of the wood" it mentions that it contains borates.
But your mention of solubor has my interest. Think I'll call the company on Monday.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You can find the contents of most anything by doing a google search using
MSDS Bora-care
MSDS Timbor
Or substitute any other product name.

For example,
Timbor is disodium octaborate tetrahydrate.  It is a white powder.
Bora-Care is a mixture of a propritory borate and ethylene glycol.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Don P

Solubor is approved for organic operations if there is a tested need for boron in your soils report. I can find the reference if you need it. Yes, check the MSDS's on any of these, it's all in there. Bora-care does use ethylene glycol as the wetting agent. I believe it is Armour-gard that uses propylene glycol but it has been awhile since I checked that. Solubor is listed as an ag chemical for boron deficiency, locally our tests always come back calling for boron. It is chemically identical to timbor, same CAS ID number.

Thank You Sponsors!