iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BAKER Band resaw ???

Started by Meadows Miller, August 29, 2008, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im thinking along the lines of cutting cants on My circ hand mill and my Mates morpak And buying a baker band resaw either a A or ABX  SERIES with a return system to handel cants 4x4 upto 6x8 from 4' to 16' lengths for a large pallet and case timber order i have coming up at the end of the year for inch and some 4x2 inch boards and I just wanted to see if Anyone was running a system like this on FF as I have the fowlowing questions.

Production im looking to process about 10 to 20 mbf per day with 2to3 men 8 to 10hrs per day

Is the saw heavy enough to handel a steady flow of larger cants

And can I get one in diesel power 40 +HP

Thanks Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

MaddiesDad

Couple of quick questions:
How many logs a day are you looking at doing?
How many heads is the Baker?  I've never really heard anything bad about Baker. 
How big are the logs (diameter)?
Define return system... is this a run around or meri-go-round or is this a belt return?

StorminN

Meadows,

AdaminMO on here should be able to answer your questions.

I don't know about the A or ABX series, but we have the BBR-O with the auto return... it's a 40hp electric with another 40hp electric to run the hydraulics. We mill glued-up blocks of mostly aspen and birch all day long... the blocks average 12"x8"x65" and we resaw them to about 0.25". With the short belt system we have, the Baker will handle about ten blocks (cants) at a time. I'd have to do some math to figure out how many board feet we put through that machine in a day, but we don't push it at all... we could run a lot more through it than we do.

I will say that the saw is built nice and heavy. We've had the saw for seven or eight years and it's been very reliable... we've replaced a few things here and there... a PLC or two and a couple of proximity sensors, but as far as motors, bearings, sprockets, it's done really well. (In comparison... the 40hp dust collector that this saw feeds, we've replaced three motors on in the same eight years).

Here's a short movie... I walked into the wood shop as the operator was just finishing up, so only the very tops of the blocks were still on the machine... that's why he's handling them at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpwNlLF8qfw

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

backwoods sawyer

Just a tip:
Speed that belt up a touch and it will keep the boards from turning as they are pushed onto it by the faster rollers.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

StorminN

backwoods,

There was actually a piece of grip tape wrapped around that last roller, in a spiral... and that's what caused the boards to turn, they would hit that last roller and sandpaper spiral and move to the left... it didn't happen with the heavier cants, it only happened when you got down to a light board at the very end of a cant. The grip tape is gone now so the boards feed straight... but you're right, the whole works could be sped up a bit...

-Norm.

Warren

If you go to the Baker Web site "www.baker-online.com" and click on "videos" on the left frame and then clcik on "scragg system", you can download a (large) video file that shows a major line up of Baker equipment in a production pallet shop.  They don't appear to be shy about throwing the wood to any of the pieces of equipment contnuously. As stated above, AdamInMo could give you all the details you want.

FWIW, I have had a Baker portable edger for over a year and have been well pleased.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

backwoods sawyer

Can you speed that belt up with your PLC? If you can play with speeding it up, even put fresh tap on the last roll if you like. But get that belt so that it is pulling the boards off the roll rather then having the roll push the boards onto the belt.
Your operator will thank you. 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

StorminN

backwoods,

Yes, we can speed the belt up with the PLC... well, someone can... I don't know how to do it, but I should learn...

-Norm.

ADAMINMO

Sorry guys ...... I havenot been by a computor till today. I am in Green Bay ,Wi At the Lake states Logging Congress. To answer your question , Yes the ABX model would be more to what you would need for the size material you are going to run. The only problem would be that the turn arounds for the ABX will only do up to 10' max length. You may be better off with a machine similiar to the one norm has.Iwould suggest the CX model with 16' turnarounds. The CX model will accomodate sizesup to 12" x12" x up to  16' long material. The ABX will also work  for those lengths but we dont build turn arounds for that size material for that machine.Click on our weblink and and fill out the page to recieve our free literature and video package. I would be happy to help you in any way I can.
ADAMINMO 

Meadows Miller

thanks Guys

StorminN thanks for uploading the vid and info on Your setup it looks like You have a good setup for what you are cutting there.

ADAMINMO THANKS for the info on the baker equipment I was looking to get a single head resaw just to prove a point to the bank before upgrading to a 4 to 6 head later on in the next 2years  Duncan/amberwood has a AWMV SHRS instock overhere now so it will save the build and shipping time to have it up and running so Ill most likely go with that for the timebeing Ive been looking at the Baker site for awhile now and I pretty sure there will be some Blue equipment in my sawmill in the future.

Thanks Again Guys

Reguards Chris McMahon

4TH Generation Timbergetter

ADAMINMO

Not a problem. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Looking forward to helping you out!!

Thank You Sponsors!