iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

harbor freight bandmill

Started by slabmaster, April 24, 2010, 10:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slabmaster

Has anyone tried the new harbor freight band mill? Looks like a good one for the money. I talked to a guy who has and he said it's heavier duty than he expected for the size.

logwalker

The general consensus around here is it is not worth the money. It was a hot topic recently.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

You'll probably find your production is probably worst than fair. But, hey, a lot of fellows aren't after production and are doing it more for hobby and possibly only milling up a little wood now and again for their wood working hobby. I'm not one to judge something I haven't used. If a fellow wants to give it a go, well it's their money.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SHAKER

From what I understand they are built by a company here in the USA

slabmaster

I heard they were built by Cook's saws here inthe USA.

Jeff

No, I don't think so. Where did you hear that?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

Quote from: slabmaster on February 09, 2011, 09:22:29 AM
I heard they were built by Cook's saws here inthe USA.
I don't think I could believe that.  A more believable scenario would be that they bought one of Cook's saws, shipped it over to china so they could copy it and sell it back to us, only a much cheapened version of the original.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sparks

China did that to the Log Rite cant hook. Mage a crap copy that looks just like it. No laws against it and it would be hard to get anything done about it. They'll continue to do it as long as they can ship there goods here with no taxes.

It's got our name on it for blades as well. Some people thought we built it because of that.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

SPIKER

I have seen a lot of this we ship a good amount of items to china, though they have copied some of our stuff they cant sell it outside china due to lat of support in the Directional Drill sector we (Company I work for now) are leader in the industry and are often copied by many people even though we have a LOT of patents defending them and having one are 2 different things...

I looked at one of the band mills in detailed pic.s (not up close) and thought it might be a good starting place to build your own mill from.  take a lot of the parts and make a heavier duty version with more engine, travel and a good frame ect.   

If you get one let us know how it works out.
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sdunston

Quote from: sparks on February 09, 2011, 03:57:06 PM
China did that to the Log Rite cant hook. Mage a crap copy that looks just like it. No laws against it and it would be hard to get anything done about it. They'll continue to do it as long as they can ship there goods here with no taxes.

It's got our name on it for blades as well. Some people thought we built it because of that.

Thats were the word COPYRIGHT that china misinterperts, They think its there right it copy it.

Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

jamesamd

Amen Brother

Thats were the word COPYRIGHT that china misinterperts, They think its there right it copy it.

Sam
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

OlJarhead

I started a similar thread a few weeks back...then bought the Woodmizer LT10 and I'm very VERY happy with Woodmizers customer service!  Also, their mill has their name behind it and from what I read here it's worth the difference.

So for $1000 more you get a Woodmizer with all the goodies they kick in, their customer service, maintenance, parts, assistance and so much more.

I'm glad I didn't buy the HF mill!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

ForestMan

Good choice.  I'm very happy with my Woodmiser LT10.  Does a great job for my needs.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Thank You Sponsors!