iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm Harvest Tables

Started by WDH, June 26, 2015, 07:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I bet one made from spruce will look very nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Good looking pine table.  I like the bread board ends. 
Caveman
Caveman

jkeith

Beautiful table, WDH! Did you draw bore the breadboard pegs or simply pin them? Just curious on the "anatomy" of that joint with the different thicknesses if you happened to use the draw bore technique.

WDH

No, I did not.  But, now that you mention it, that would have been the way to go.  On the next one, I will draw bore the breadboard.  Thank you for the suggestion.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Draw boring has the added benefit making the joint tighter over time as the bread board loses moisture. BTW...very good work on that top.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Helping my Nephew get into woodworking.  Here is a table that we made.  It is his first big project, and I mean BIG.  This table is 11 feet long and 42 1/2" wide.  You could land a small plane on it. 

Bill Gaiche

Very nice. That will be around for a long time. bg

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scsmith42

Man, I love your projects!  (and congrats on having a "Doctor" in the family!"
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

samandothers

Not sure I saw this thread earlier with the pine table.  Great job sure is pretty.  The project with the nephew is very nice too!

How thick is the table you and your nephew worked on?  What keeps such a long table from sagging in the mid span?

WDH

Scott, I call her a "Dog Doctor"  ;D.

Sam, top is 1 1/2" thick.  Quartersawn pine that Customsawyer and I sawed from the customer's big pine log.  There is a center stretcher that runs from the top of each leg to the other to provide center support of the top.  There is a lower center stretcher as well, so the base is solid as a rock (old saying). 

petefrom bearswamp

smiley_thumbsup
Danny looking at your projects reminds me of when I subscribed to Fine Woodworking magazine.
I always marveled at the  talent of others and my lack of same.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

caveman

Pete, you and I are in the same boat (old saying) regarding Danny's work.  Hopefully, later this winter or spring when you head south, we can literally get in the same boat and harass some bass.  That white oak table top is something to behold.
Caveman

Hamajama

Hey guys. I am his nephew whom he helped in this massive undertaking. He was truly a great man who contained an overflowing fountain of knowledge, and I am forever grateful I was able to spend the time that I did with him learning, listening, watching, questioning, and helping whenever I could.

I wanted to add a few more photos that I had on my phone of the process.

I roughed out the tenons with the dado stack on a Delta 36-725. The mortises were created by gluing up two boards with dados cut in each.

In the next photo, I had mortised out of the leg for the stretcher tenon, but it quickly dawned on me that I was going to need a bigger mortise.

Once I had cut the tenons on the stretcher and dry fit everything, it was time to glue. Shop wasn't going to fit the both of us so I had to settle for outside. A top stretcher was lagged and plugged afterwards to support the span of the top. 

beenthere

Hamajama
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. You had a "great" Uncle in Danny. Glad you were able to enjoy and learn from him. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firefighter ontheside

Welcome to the forum Hamajama and I'm very sorry for your loss.  That's a great table.  You couldn't have had a better person to help you in building it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

customsawyer

Beautiful work hamajama. Now you have some Johnson past wax to put on it.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

samandothers

Hamahama welcome!

Great work on the table!  That's a long one for sure.  I am glad you had the time to learn from Danny on the project and hope there were more.  Sorry for your loss.

I hope to see more projects/post from you.  

metalspinner

Welcome to the forum, Hamahama!

That's a beautiful job you did on the table. I built a trestle table like your's for my kitchen, too. But it's only 8' long. 😆

I'm so sorry for the loss to you and your family.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
Nice table!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!