iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack hydraulic valve leak

Started by madmari, March 15, 2011, 06:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I've had a control valve leak on my TJ230 and am shutting down for mud season, so it's a good time to get it fixed.
  In the valve bank, there are 3 valves- steering, blade and winch. After the first hour or so of use, I get a drip from one of the valves- can't tell which one. I've tried to isolate the problem, but I can't see the leak source. I do know the hose fittings are not leaking. I lose about a cup of fluid a day right onto the pedals and floor- gets pretty slippery.
   Anybody have any ideas?
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

smwwoody

If the chrome still looks good on the spool odds are it is just the seal on the ends of the spool. 6 of the $4 seals should fix the problem
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

madmari

Thanks- I'll look at the drawings in my manual and check it out.

kiko

Not sure about tj230, but many timberjacks have load check valves located on the backside of the valve section. The o-rings a prone to get hard and leak. This leak is hard to pinpoint because you can't see it with valve installed.

240b

Just rebuild the whole valve it is pretty simple and the kit doesn't cost that much.  I think the TJ part number is
840762900 for that machine. Petes repair can get it for you. Get the little rubber boots for the top where the spools come out too.

madmari

Thank you- I don't know alot about these valves; guess it's time to learn!

240b

steam clean the whole mess and than remove it from the skidder.  mark which  line goes to what first.
you want  a CLEAN well  lit  place to work with enough room to lay out all the pieces. It has to go back together the way it came apart.  don't mix up the spools.  The kitchen table is great for this kind of work,  close to the coffee and phone.  Ah, those were the days..  Sorry, Any how just be super organized lay it all out and and take it one step at a time. Take pictures if you need to along the way. A set on dental type picks is very handy for this job too. Don't force anything back together. 

lumberjake

We just rebuilt ours check your spools and if they're not worn then it's your o rings. On the spools check the chrome if it's scratched or worn then there's your problem. Hope that helps you

Thank You Sponsors!