iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newer saws compared to older saw

Started by Lark-o, July 21, 2013, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

There's a lot of "good old saws" .The 181-281 and 2100 Husqvarnas' come to mind .Probabley a tad more saw than most would care for though .

You want tough old saw and cheap,PM 610-650 McCulloch .A little heavy for 60 cc but they've cut a lot of firewood and continue to do so .Right there is an example of normally an under 100 dollar saw that will cut right along with the best of them if the operator has enough strength to run it all day .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 28, 2013, 04:03:46 PM
Probabley a tad more saw than most would care for though .
saw that will cut right along with the best of them if the operator has enough strength to run it all day .
Different work ethic today Al......my last year on the farm before I went to work in the bush at age 16, my Dad and I put up enough hay for the winter for 30 head of cattle, with pitch forks, hay rack and John Deere AR.
We cheated a little though ,  we used a horse drawn double knife mower and hay rake......both converted to tractor drawn. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

:D Since you mentioned it my dad had show ponies,Arabian Shetlands.Beautiful little high steppers .350 pound little horses that pound for pound were stronger than a Belgian in restrospect .We put up 5 acres of loose hay every year using a 5 foot McCormick-Deering mower and a 7 foot rake both converted to be pulled by a 1938 Allis -Chalmers B .

I never could mow good with it until my dad let me in on a little secret which I've never forgotted .Horse drawn stuff needs to be ran at horse speed which is 2 MPH .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 29, 2013, 06:52:22 AM
:D Since you mentioned it my dad had show ponies,Arabian Shetlands.Beautiful little high steppers .350 pound little horses that pound for pound were stronger than a Belgian in restrospect .We put up 5 acres of loose hay every year using a 5 foot McCormick-Deering mower and a 7 foot rake both converted to be pulled by a 1938 Allis -Chalmers B .

I never could mow good with it until my dad let me in on a little secret which I've never forgotted .Horse drawn stuff needs to be ran at horse speed which is 2 MPH .
Funny you mention that Al, when I was a young lad I had a little all black Arabian Shetland gelding. Lots of spirit but  was only stubborn when I rode him away from the farm, but I had to hang on tight when we were going back home. Even though he was a gelding he still would still pester and ride the big quarter horse mares :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!