iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lifting device

Started by logosoluser, August 27, 2004, 08:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logosoluser

I am looking for some help in designing a lifting device. The problem I have is from time to time people will have logs that I could get, but I don't have any way to load them. I want a manual device that I can load these logs with. I dont want anthing that uses any power other than myself. I was thinking of something along the lines of a cherry picker type of thing. It will need to be able to lift a log about 3 feet off the ground. Does anyone use anything like this? Let me know if you have any ideas. It can not mount to the trailer either, it most be free standing. Thanks for the help.

DanG

Welcome!

Let me see, here. How about a tripod with a chain fall? Place it over one end of the log, lift, and back the trailer under it. Set that end down on the trailer with a piece of pipe under it for a roller. Then move the tripod to the other end, lift and back the trailer some more, and set it down on another pipe. Then winch it forward with a come-a-long till it's in place. Taa-daa! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

raycon

Or come-a-long/ratchet type winch and side load onto trailer.
Lot of stuff..

FiremanEd

If you have 2 people. Postition the trailor parallel to the log about 12 feet apart. Take two poles about 10' long and place them to against the side of the trailer. Take 2 cant hooks and take turns rolling and holding until the log is on the trailer. If you only have 1 can't hook have the second person move a wedge/block along behind the log. You take a roll w/ the cant hook, they push the block up tight.

I've only done it for fun to prove to myself (hardheaded) that it could be done but that's how my Grandfather loaded trucks every day.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Tom

I can resist most anything but temptation.

Rolling logs up a ramp on the side of a trailer is a good method.  A come-along or winch is best used but cant-hooks will work if you have the muscle and the log doesn't slip on the ramp.
Just be sure that you don't stand behind the log.
.......................Stand to the side

Arthur

Logosol here in Australia have a small log lifting device.

It looks like a 40mmx40mm RHS with a slider.  The slider has a 3" spike which you ram into the end of the log. The slider is attached to a truck strap and at the head of the unit it has a ratchet for the truck strap.

It can lift one end of a 12" to 16" log a good 3'.  Being a single rhs you then just swing it sideways to where you want to possition it.

They use it for the Logosol chainsaw mill.

Kevin

Two pulleys and a winch or come a long using three parts of a line you can pull a 1000 lb. log with 333 lbs. of force and drag those puppies up onto the trailer.
A little two wheel dolly under the nose of the log will make it even easier.

rbarshaw

If only doing one log at a time, something like this could work.

It uses a manual winch, the strap or cable goes under the log and attaches to the other side at the top, then winch the log up in place and use a chain to hold it. has a ball hitch at yhe other end. and another winch about half way down the length to lift the front of the log.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

LeeB

I do like the fireman suggested all the time by myself. If the logs are really big, I drop the trailer and use my truck and a long chain to pull the log up the ramps. Just put about 3 wraps of chain around the log leaving a long tail end free and hook the other end to your hitch. Drive forward and the log will roll right up the ramps. the chain has to go over the top of the log when making your wraps so it will roll. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rebocardo

I wrap two tow straps around a log, one each end, put a come-a-long on the straps, and winch it onto my mill. I use a high-lift jack (3.5 tons) and 6 foot pry bar on occasions for lifting logs.

logosoluser

Thanks for the information. I have gotten some pretty good ideas now to work with. I knew there was a few ways to do it, but I wanted to see some of the different ideas. You know what they say about more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks again.

rvrdivr

A while back I too asks this queston and here's what I came up with.
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1087996502;start=0

I will say that if I had it all to do over, I would get a more heavy duty trailer. I just spent the weekend cutting bent beams out and welding new angle iron in. I also has to replace all four springs and one axle. The log that broke the camels back was a 14 foot, 38 inch diameter red oak.
Good luck,
Brian

DanG

Rvrdvr. Great looking rig..looks just like mine, except you painted yours. Mine has a great looking rust patina. :D :D

One thing scares me, though. Get rid of that snatch block you're using! :o  I had one just like it and it exploded under a heavy strain. Ended up scattered over a 100' radius and it's just lucky nobody was hit with the shrapnel. We never found all of it. Apparently it is made of inferior metals.

I don't even use a block on my loader. I just loop one end of the chain around the top bar, and the other around the log. This way, the arch never crashes forward unless I pull it past the vertical. I loop the chain loosely around the log, rather than choking it. It just sort of cradles the log. Then when I drop it back for the second pull, the chain just falls away and grabs the log further back with no assistance from me.

Mainly, though, throw that snatch block in the river and drop a few bucks for a better one!  I'll post pics of the remains of  mine later.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gilman

DanG,
I'd like to see how you do this.  I've got a winch for my trailer, but haven't mounted it.  I'd prefer to do it the best way the first time.

Looking forward to your photos
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

DanG

How I do which, Gilman?  :) ???  I posted a series of pics a few months ago, but I don't have time to search it out right now. You can find the pics in the photo gallery...just look for the title "dangloader" and you should find them.
My winch is mounted in the truck, right behind the cab.  I hook the winch cable to the loop of chain that holds it to the arch.
One of the nice things about this loader is I don't have to be anywhere near it while loading. I have a 35' cord for controlling the winch so I can reach the back of the trailer as well as keeping me out of the way if I have a catastrophic failure.

Thank You Sponsors!